RE: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
      And if you want some commodore stuff, I've got a trunk load you can have for free, including some printers.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
        Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
        into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
        problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
        that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
        Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
        various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
        restoration/dead..etc..
        Bill

        > Is that an open invitation?
        >
        > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
        > that.
        >
        > Anyone doing TCF this year?
        >
        > I haven't gone in a while.
        >
        > --- billdeg@... wrote:
        >
        >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
        >> bd
        >>

        >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
        >> on hold, due mainly to
        >> > school and other things that have made my life
        >> crazy. But now, I feel I
        >> > can
        >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
        >> where I could pick up
        >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
        >> area?

      • Ryan Harvey
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
          Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

          --Ryan
          (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

        • billdeg@degnanco.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
            You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
            bd

            > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
            > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
            > one of yours for shipping?
            >
            > --Ryan
            > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > now.
          • Ryan Harvey
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
              Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

              --Ryan.

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

                > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
                >
                > --Ryan.
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > now.
              • jack99rubin
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                  > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                  > bd

                  if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                  the airport ...

                  Jack
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                    <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                    > Is that an open invitation?
                    >
                    > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                    > that.
                    >
                    > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                    >
                    > I haven't gone in a while.
                    >
                    > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                    > > bd
                    > >

                    > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                    > > on hold, due mainly to
                    > > > school and other things that have made my life
                    > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                    > > > can
                    > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                    > > where I could pick up
                    > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                    > > area?

                    ---------------------

                    I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                    Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                    Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                    Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                    Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                    occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                    And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                    ;-)

                    TTYL
                    Brian C.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                      > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                      > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                      > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                      > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                      > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                      >
                      > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                      >
                      > ;-)

                      nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                      Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                      anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                      South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                      bd
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                        Memories!

                        I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                        I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                        the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                        Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                        I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                        Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                        people stop me about.

                        When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                        Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                        companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                        pictures of all the places that closed.

                        Weird.

                        --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                        > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi,
                        > I'm Brian
                        > > Cirulnick, and my website is
                        > http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                        > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o
                        > crap also spans
                        > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old
                        > "laptops" and the
                        > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                        > >
                        > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you
                        > fill *that* up?
                        > >
                        > > ;-)
                        > >

                        > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse
                        > full of surplus SUN,
                        > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late
                        > 80's early 90's if
                        > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom
                        > prices. Located in
                        > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                        > bd

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                          wrong. :)

                          Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                          are welcome, of course.)

                          > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                          >
                          > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                          > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                          > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                          > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                          > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                          >
                          > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                          >
                          > ;-)
                          >
                          > TTYL
                          > Brian C.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Kelly Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                            Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                              I will see what I can do.
                              BD

                              > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                              > and condition.

                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                                > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                                I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  OK

                                  bd

                                  > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                  >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                  >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                  >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                  >
                                  > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                  > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                  >

                                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                • Brian Cirulnick
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    wrote:

                                    > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                    > wrong. :)
                                    >
                                    > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                    someplace? (All
                                    > are welcome, of course.)
                                    >

                                    > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                    > >
                                    > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                    > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                    > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                    > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                    > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                    > >
                                    > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                    > >
                                    > > ;-)
                                    > >
                                    > > TTYL
                                    > > Brian C.
                                    ---------------------------

                                    Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                    NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                    Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                    in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                    Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                    consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                    TTYL
                                    Brian C.
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                      area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                      get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                      moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                      my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                      history museum.

                                      Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                      like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                      >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                      Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                      impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                        > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                        Me too.

                                        Peace... Sridhar