Re: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
      Is that an open invitation?

      Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
      that.

      Anyone doing TCF this year?

      I haven't gone in a while.

      --- billdeg@... wrote:

      > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
      > bd
      >

      > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
      > on hold, due mainly to
      > > school and other things that have made my life
      > crazy. But now, I feel I
      > > can
      > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
      > where I could pick up
      > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
      > area?

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
        And if you want some commodore stuff, I've got a trunk load you can have for free, including some printers.

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
          Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
          into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
          problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
          that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
          Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
          various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
          restoration/dead..etc..
          Bill

          > Is that an open invitation?
          >
          > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
          > that.
          >
          > Anyone doing TCF this year?
          >
          > I haven't gone in a while.
          >
          > --- billdeg@... wrote:
          >
          >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
          >> bd
          >>

          >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
          >> on hold, due mainly to
          >> > school and other things that have made my life
          >> crazy. But now, I feel I
          >> > can
          >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
          >> where I could pick up
          >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
          >> area?

        • Ryan Harvey
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
            Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

            --Ryan
            (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

          • billdeg@degnanco.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
              You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
              bd

              > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
              > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
              > one of yours for shipping?
              >
              > --Ryan
              > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > now.
            • Ryan Harvey
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

                --Ryan.

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

                  > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
                  >
                  > --Ryan.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > now.
                • jack99rubin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                    > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                    > bd

                    if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                    the airport ...

                    Jack
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                      <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                      > Is that an open invitation?
                      >
                      > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                      > that.
                      >
                      > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                      >
                      > I haven't gone in a while.
                      >
                      > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                      > > bd
                      > >

                      > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                      > > on hold, due mainly to
                      > > > school and other things that have made my life
                      > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                      > > > can
                      > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                      > > where I could pick up
                      > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                      > > area?

                      ---------------------

                      I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                      Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                      Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                      Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                      Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                      occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                      And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                      ;-)

                      TTYL
                      Brian C.
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                        > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                        > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                        > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                        > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                        > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                        >
                        > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                        >
                        > ;-)

                        nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                        Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                        anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                        South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                        bd
                      • Christian Liendo
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Memories!

                          I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                          I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                          the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                          Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                          I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                          Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                          people stop me about.

                          When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                          Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                          companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                          pictures of all the places that closed.

                          Weird.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                            Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                            wrong. :)

                            Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                            are welcome, of course.)

                            > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                            >
                            > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                            > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                            > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                            > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                            > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                            >
                            > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                            >
                            > ;-)
                            >
                            > TTYL
                            > Brian C.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Kelly Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                I will see what I can do.
                                BD

                                > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                                > and condition.

                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                                  > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                  > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                  > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                  > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                                  I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                  in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    OK

                                    bd

                                    > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                    >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                    >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                    >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                    >
                                    > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                    > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                    >

                                    > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                  • Brian Cirulnick
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      wrote:

                                      > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                      > wrong. :)
                                      >
                                      > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                      someplace? (All
                                      > are welcome, of course.)
                                      >

                                      > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                      > >
                                      > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                      > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                      > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                      > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                      > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                      > >
                                      > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                      > >
                                      > > ;-)
                                      > >
                                      > > TTYL
                                      > > Brian C.
                                      ---------------------------

                                      Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                      NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                      Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                      in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                      Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                      consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                      TTYL
                                      Brian C.
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                        area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                        get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                        moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                        my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                        history museum.

                                        Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                        like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                        >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                        Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                        impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                          Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                          > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                          Me too.

                                          Peace... Sridhar