Re: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...

  • billdeg@degnanco.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
      Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
      bd

      > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to
      > school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I
      > can
      > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up
      > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?

    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
        Is that an open invitation?

        Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
        that.

        Anyone doing TCF this year?

        I haven't gone in a while.

        --- billdeg@... wrote:

        > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
        > bd
        >

        > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
        > on hold, due mainly to
        > > school and other things that have made my life
        > crazy. But now, I feel I
        > > can
        > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
        > where I could pick up
        > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
        > area?

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
          And if you want some commodore stuff, I've got a trunk load you can have for free, including some printers.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
            Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
            into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
            problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
            that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
            Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
            various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
            restoration/dead..etc..
            Bill

            > Is that an open invitation?
            >
            > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
            > that.
            >
            > Anyone doing TCF this year?
            >
            > I haven't gone in a while.
            >
            > --- billdeg@... wrote:
            >
            >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
            >> bd
            >>

            >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
            >> on hold, due mainly to
            >> > school and other things that have made my life
            >> crazy. But now, I feel I
            >> > can
            >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
            >> where I could pick up
            >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
            >> area?

          • Ryan Harvey
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
              Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

              --Ryan
              (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

            • billdeg@degnanco.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
                bd

                > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
                > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
                > one of yours for shipping?
                >
                > --Ryan
                > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > now.
              • Ryan Harvey
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

                  --Ryan.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

                    > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
                    >
                    > --Ryan.
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > now.
                  • jack99rubin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                      > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                      > bd

                      if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                      the airport ...

                      Jack
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                        <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                        > Is that an open invitation?
                        >
                        > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                        > that.
                        >
                        > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                        >
                        > I haven't gone in a while.
                        >
                        > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                        > > bd
                        > >

                        > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                        > > on hold, due mainly to
                        > > > school and other things that have made my life
                        > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                        > > > can
                        > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                        > > where I could pick up
                        > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                        > > area?

                        ---------------------

                        I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                        Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                        Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                        Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                        Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                        occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                        And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                        ;-)

                        TTYL
                        Brian C.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                          > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                          > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                          > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                          > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                          > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                          >
                          > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                          >
                          > ;-)

                          nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                          Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                          anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                          South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                          bd
                        • Christian Liendo
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                            Memories!

                            I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                            I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                            the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                            Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                            I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                            Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                            people stop me about.

                            When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                            Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                            companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                            pictures of all the places that closed.

                            Weird.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                              wrong. :)

                              Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                              are welcome, of course.)

                              > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                              >
                              > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                              > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                              > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                              > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                              > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                              >
                              > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                              >
                              > ;-)
                              >
                              > TTYL
                              > Brian C.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Kelly Leavitt
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  I will see what I can do.
                                  BD

                                  > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                                  > and condition.

                                • Mike Loewen
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                                    > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                    > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                    > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                    > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                                    I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                    in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      OK

                                      bd

                                      > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                      >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                      >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                      >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                      >
                                      > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                      > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                      >

                                      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                    • Brian Cirulnick
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        wrote:

                                        > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                        > wrong. :)
                                        >
                                        > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                        someplace? (All
                                        > are welcome, of course.)
                                        >

                                        > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                        > >
                                        > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                        > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                        > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                        > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                        > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                        > >
                                        > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                        > >
                                        > > ;-)
                                        > >
                                        > > TTYL
                                        > > Brian C.
                                        ---------------------------

                                        Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                        NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                        Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                        in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                        Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                        consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                        TTYL
                                        Brian C.
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                          area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                          get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                          moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                          my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                          history museum.

                                          Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                          like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                          >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                          Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                          impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                            Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                            > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                            Me too.

                                            Peace... Sridhar