Re: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
      Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote :

      > My goals have changed, and CS and EE are no longer part of them. I still enjoy vintage computing, but I have come to realize that engineering just isn't in my scope.On Jan 31, 2008 6:26 PM, Evan <

      Sorry to hear that. As a lead software engineer, I can jokingly tell you that
      engineering and developing software aren't the same (excuse me while I duck as
      people throw things at me). The manager of the hardware group at work often
      jokes that "anyone can write software, but only exceptional people can design
      hardware." Looking at some of the code written by some of the guys in his group,
      I joke back "Yeah, anyone can write software, but only a good software engineer
      can get their stuff to work properly."

      You know, being an engineer and doing engineering are two different things.
      Digging in and designing a computer might be a lot of fun, regardless of your
      career path. If nothing else, you can point to it and proudly say "I built this!"
      In this age of simply plugging known-working cards into known-working systems,
      that is a statement very few other people can make.

      Bob

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • billdeg@degnanco.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
        Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
        bd

        > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to
        > school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I
        > can
        > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up
        > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
          Is that an open invitation?

          Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
          that.

          Anyone doing TCF this year?

          I haven't gone in a while.

          --- billdeg@... wrote:

          > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
          > bd
          >

          > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
          > on hold, due mainly to
          > > school and other things that have made my life
          > crazy. But now, I feel I
          > > can
          > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
          > where I could pick up
          > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
          > area?

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
            And if you want some commodore stuff, I've got a trunk load you can have for free, including some printers.

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
              Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
              into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
              problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
              that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
              Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
              various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
              restoration/dead..etc..
              Bill

              > Is that an open invitation?
              >
              > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
              > that.
              >
              > Anyone doing TCF this year?
              >
              > I haven't gone in a while.
              >
              > --- billdeg@... wrote:
              >
              >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
              >> bd
              >>

              >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
              >> on hold, due mainly to
              >> > school and other things that have made my life
              >> crazy. But now, I feel I
              >> > can
              >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
              >> where I could pick up
              >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
              >> area?

            • Ryan Harvey
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

                --Ryan
                (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

              • billdeg@degnanco.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                  You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
                  bd

                  > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
                  > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
                  > one of yours for shipping?
                  >
                  > --Ryan
                  > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > now.
                • Ryan Harvey
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

                    --Ryan.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

                      > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
                      >
                      > --Ryan.
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > now.
                    • jack99rubin
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                        > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                        > bd

                        if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                        the airport ...

                        Jack
                      • Brian Cirulnick
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                          <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                          > Is that an open invitation?
                          >
                          > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                          > that.
                          >
                          > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                          >
                          > I haven't gone in a while.
                          >
                          > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                          > > bd
                          > >

                          > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                          > > on hold, due mainly to
                          > > > school and other things that have made my life
                          > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                          > > > can
                          > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                          > > where I could pick up
                          > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                          > > area?

                          ---------------------

                          I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                          Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                          Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                          Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                          Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                          occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                          And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                          ;-)

                          TTYL
                          Brian C.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                            > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                            > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                            > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                            > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                            > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                            >
                            > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                            >
                            > ;-)

                            nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                            Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                            anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                            South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                            bd
                          • Christian Liendo
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Memories!

                              I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                              I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                              the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                              Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                              I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                              Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                              people stop me about.

                              When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                              Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                              companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                              pictures of all the places that closed.

                              Weird.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                wrong. :)

                                Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                                are welcome, of course.)

                                > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                >
                                > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                >
                                > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                >
                                > ;-)
                                >
                                > TTYL
                                > Brian C.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Kelly Leavitt
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    I will see what I can do.
                                    BD

                                    > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                                    > and condition.

                                  • Mike Loewen
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                                      > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                      > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                      > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                      > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                                      I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                      in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        OK

                                        bd

                                        > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                        >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                        >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                        >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                        >
                                        > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                        > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                        >

                                        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                      • Brian Cirulnick
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          wrote:

                                          > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                          > wrong. :)
                                          >
                                          > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                          someplace? (All
                                          > are welcome, of course.)
                                          >

                                          > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                          > >
                                          > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                          > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                          > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                          > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                          > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                          > >
                                          > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                          > >
                                          > > ;-)
                                          > >
                                          > > TTYL
                                          > > Brian C.
                                          ---------------------------

                                          Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                          NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                          Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                          in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                          Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                          consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                          TTYL
                                          Brian C.
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                            area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                            get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                            moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                            my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                            history museum.

                                            Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                            like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                            >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                            Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                            impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                              Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                              > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                              Me too.

                                              Peace... Sridhar