Re: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 31, 2008
      What happened to your plan to build something from scratch, or at least from a kit, so you can be better prepared for a CS or EE degree?

      Subj: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...
      Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:03 pm
      Size: 2K
      To: midatlanticretro <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

      Until recently, Id put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I can take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 31, 2008
        My goals have changed, and CS and EE are no longer part of them. I still enjoy vintage computing, but I have come to realize that engineering just isn't in my scope.

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
          Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote :

          > My goals have changed, and CS and EE are no longer part of them. I still enjoy vintage computing, but I have come to realize that engineering just isn't in my scope.On Jan 31, 2008 6:26 PM, Evan <

          Sorry to hear that. As a lead software engineer, I can jokingly tell you that
          engineering and developing software aren't the same (excuse me while I duck as
          people throw things at me). The manager of the hardware group at work often
          jokes that "anyone can write software, but only exceptional people can design
          hardware." Looking at some of the code written by some of the guys in his group,
          I joke back "Yeah, anyone can write software, but only a good software engineer
          can get their stuff to work properly."

          You know, being an engineer and doing engineering are two different things.
          Digging in and designing a computer might be a lot of fun, regardless of your
          career path. If nothing else, you can point to it and proudly say "I built this!"
          In this age of simply plugging known-working cards into known-working systems,
          that is a statement very few other people can make.

          Bob

          ___________________________________
          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
        • billdeg@degnanco.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
            Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
            bd

            > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to
            > school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I
            > can
            > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up
            > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
              Is that an open invitation?

              Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
              that.

              Anyone doing TCF this year?

              I haven't gone in a while.

              --- billdeg@... wrote:

              > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
              > bd
              >

              > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
              > on hold, due mainly to
              > > school and other things that have made my life
              > crazy. But now, I feel I
              > > can
              > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
              > where I could pick up
              > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
              > area?

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                And if you want some commodore stuff, I've got a trunk load you can have for free, including some printers.

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
                  into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
                  problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
                  that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
                  Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
                  various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
                  restoration/dead..etc..
                  Bill

                  > Is that an open invitation?
                  >
                  > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                  > that.
                  >
                  > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                  >
                  > I haven't gone in a while.
                  >
                  > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                  >
                  >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                  >> bd
                  >>

                  >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                  >> on hold, due mainly to
                  >> > school and other things that have made my life
                  >> crazy. But now, I feel I
                  >> > can
                  >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                  >> where I could pick up
                  >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                  >> area?

                • Ryan Harvey
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

                    --Ryan
                    (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

                  • billdeg@degnanco.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                      You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
                      bd

                      > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
                      > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
                      > one of yours for shipping?
                      >
                      > --Ryan
                      > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > now.
                    • Ryan Harvey
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

                        --Ryan.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

                          > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
                          >
                          > --Ryan.
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------
                          > now.
                        • jack99rubin
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                            > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                            > bd

                            if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                            the airport ...

                            Jack
                          • Brian Cirulnick
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                              <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                              > Is that an open invitation?
                              >
                              > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                              > that.
                              >
                              > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                              >
                              > I haven't gone in a while.
                              >
                              > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                              >
                              > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                              > > bd
                              > >

                              > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                              > > on hold, due mainly to
                              > > > school and other things that have made my life
                              > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                              > > > can
                              > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                              > > where I could pick up
                              > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                              > > area?

                              ---------------------

                              I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                              Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                              Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                              Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                              Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                              occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                              And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                              ;-)

                              TTYL
                              Brian C.
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                                > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                >
                                > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                >
                                > ;-)

                                nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                bd
                              • Christian Liendo
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  Memories!

                                  I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                                  I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                                  the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                                  Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                                  I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                                  Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                                  people stop me about.

                                  When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                                  Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                                  companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                                  pictures of all the places that closed.

                                  Weird.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                    wrong. :)

                                    Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                                    are welcome, of course.)

                                    > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                    >
                                    > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                    > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                    > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                    > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                    > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                    >
                                    > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                    >
                                    > ;-)
                                    >
                                    > TTYL
                                    > Brian C.
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Kelly Leavitt
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        I will see what I can do.
                                        BD

                                        > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                                        > and condition.

                                      • Mike Loewen
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                                          > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                          > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                          > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                          > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                                          I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                          in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            OK

                                            bd

                                            > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                            >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                            >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                            >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                            >
                                            > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                            > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                            >

                                            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                          • Brian Cirulnick
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                              wrote:

                                              > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                              > wrong. :)
                                              >
                                              > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                              someplace? (All
                                              > are welcome, of course.)
                                              >

                                              > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                              > >
                                              > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                              > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                              > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                              > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                              > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                              > >
                                              > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                              > >
                                              > > ;-)
                                              > >
                                              > > TTYL
                                              > > Brian C.
                                              ---------------------------

                                              Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                              NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                              Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                              in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                              Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                              consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                              TTYL
                                              Brian C.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                                area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                                get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                                moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                                my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                                history museum.

                                                Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                                like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                                >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                                Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                                impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                              • Sridhar Ayengar
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                                  Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                                  > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                                  Me too.

                                                  Peace... Sridhar