Want to get back into this...

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 31, 2008
      Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I can take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 31, 2008
        Define vintage.... it means something different to everyone. I have a BUNCH of 486 machines you can have if you come to Wantage NJ and just take them. Some consider the 486 vintage.

        I could probably scrounge up a 5150 or 5160 for little more than a token payment (I paid like $20 for each), again if you come get it. I'd have to see which I have more of.

        I have a Leading Edge XT class machine with keyboard anda bernoulli drive in it that I paid $10 for.

        I would even part with a couple of the Macintosh and Apple ][s for the same deal. This goes for anyone in the group.

        I'm not getting out of the hobby, but I've accumulated more than I need of many of these.

        A great place to look is at the "flea market" at the self storage areas. There is one by me that I got a Mac Plus with 68020 upgrade 4M RAM, and a 20M HD for $5. It all works too. I picked up a TRS-80 model III while there for the same price.

        Kelly

        Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I can take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?
      • Joe Giliberti

          Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I can take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 31, 2008
            What happened to your plan to build something from scratch, or at least from a kit, so you can be better prepared for a CS or EE degree?

            Subj: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...
            Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:03 pm
            Size: 2K
            To: midatlanticretro <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 31, 2008
              My goals have changed, and CS and EE are no longer part of them. I still enjoy vintage computing, but I have come to realize that engineering just isn't in my scope.

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote :

                > My goals have changed, and CS and EE are no longer part of them. I still enjoy vintage computing, but I have come to realize that engineering just isn't in my scope.On Jan 31, 2008 6:26 PM, Evan <

                Sorry to hear that. As a lead software engineer, I can jokingly tell you that
                engineering and developing software aren't the same (excuse me while I duck as
                people throw things at me). The manager of the hardware group at work often
                jokes that "anyone can write software, but only exceptional people can design
                hardware." Looking at some of the code written by some of the guys in his group,
                I joke back "Yeah, anyone can write software, but only a good software engineer
                can get their stuff to work properly."

                You know, being an engineer and doing engineering are two different things.
                Digging in and designing a computer might be a lot of fun, regardless of your
                career path. If nothing else, you can point to it and proudly say "I built this!"
                In this age of simply plugging known-working cards into known-working systems,
                that is a statement very few other people can make.

                Bob

                ___________________________________
                NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
              • billdeg@degnanco.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                  bd

                  > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby on hold, due mainly to
                  > school and other things that have made my life crazy. But now, I feel I
                  > can
                  > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could pick up
                  > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ area?

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                    Is that an open invitation?

                    Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                    that.

                    Anyone doing TCF this year?

                    I haven't gone in a while.

                    --- billdeg@... wrote:

                    > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                    > bd
                    >

                    > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                    > on hold, due mainly to
                    > > school and other things that have made my life
                    > crazy. But now, I feel I
                    > > can
                    > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                    > where I could pick up
                    > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                    > area?

                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                      And if you want some commodore stuff, I've got a trunk load you can have for free, including some printers.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
                        into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
                        problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
                        that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
                        Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
                        various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
                        restoration/dead..etc..
                        Bill

                        > Is that an open invitation?
                        >
                        > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                        > that.
                        >
                        > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                        >
                        > I haven't gone in a while.
                        >
                        > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                        >
                        >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                        >> bd
                        >>

                        >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                        >> on hold, due mainly to
                        >> > school and other things that have made my life
                        >> crazy. But now, I feel I
                        >> > can
                        >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                        >> where I could pick up
                        >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                        >> area?

                      • Ryan Harvey
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

                          --Ryan
                          (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

                        • billdeg@degnanco.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                            You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
                            bd

                            > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
                            > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
                            > one of yours for shipping?
                            >
                            > --Ryan
                            > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > now.
                          • Ryan Harvey
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                              Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

                              --Ryan.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                                Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

                                > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
                                >
                                > --Ryan.
                                >

                                > ---------------------------------
                                > now.
                              • jack99rubin
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                                  > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                                  > bd

                                  if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                                  the airport ...

                                  Jack
                                • Brian Cirulnick
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                                    <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                                    > Is that an open invitation?
                                    >
                                    > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                                    > that.
                                    >
                                    > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                                    >
                                    > I haven't gone in a while.
                                    >
                                    > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                                    > > bd
                                    > >

                                    > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                                    > > on hold, due mainly to
                                    > > > school and other things that have made my life
                                    > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                                    > > > can
                                    > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                                    > > where I could pick up
                                    > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                                    > > area?

                                    ---------------------

                                    I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                                    Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                    Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                    Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                    Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                    occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                                    And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                                    ;-)

                                    TTYL
                                    Brian C.
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                                      > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                      > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                      > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                      > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                      > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                      >
                                      > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                      >
                                      > ;-)

                                      nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                      Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                      anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                      South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                      bd
                                    • Christian Liendo
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        Memories!

                                        I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                                        I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                                        the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                                        Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                                        I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                                        Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                                        people stop me about.

                                        When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                                        Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                                        companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                                        pictures of all the places that closed.

                                        Weird.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                          wrong. :)

                                          Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                                          are welcome, of course.)

                                          > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                          >
                                          > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                          > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                          > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                          > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                          > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                          >
                                          > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                          >
                                          > ;-)
                                          >
                                          > TTYL
                                          > Brian C.
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Kelly Leavitt
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                              I will see what I can do.
                                              BD

                                              > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                                              > and condition.

                                            • Mike Loewen
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                                                > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                                > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                                > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                                > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                                                I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                                in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                  OK

                                                  bd

                                                  > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                                  >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                                  >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                                  >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                                  > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                                  >

                                                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                                • Brian Cirulnick
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                                    > wrong. :)
                                                    >
                                                    > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                                    someplace? (All
                                                    > are welcome, of course.)
                                                    >

                                                    > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                                    > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                                    > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                                    > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                                    > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > ;-)
                                                    > >
                                                    > > TTYL
                                                    > > Brian C.
                                                    ---------------------------

                                                    Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                                    NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                                    Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                                    in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                                    Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                                    consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                                    TTYL
                                                    Brian C.
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                      >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                                      area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                                      get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                                      moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                                      my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                                      history museum.

                                                      Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                                      like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                                      >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                                      Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                                      impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                                        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                                        > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                                        Me too.

                                                        Peace... Sridhar