RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: New member introduction

  • Ian King
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 26, 2008
      One of my first industry jobs was writing a system to run a check imprinter.  During the introduction of the system to the company who had purchased it, we (I) had a connection into their site to do maintenance or troubleshoot issues.  It was over a phone line with - you guessed it - a 300 baud modem.  It was painfully slow, but less burdensome than traveling an hour to the customer site each time....  At least I think it was!

      That was also my first experience of technology displacing jobs: the system I'd written replaced twelve people with Friden Flexiwriters, with three people on ADM-3 terminals.  It also improved the efficiency of the business because reorders could be done by pulling up a record out of a database.  Needless to say, on the site visit we did conduct, the managers loved us and the employees looked on us as the spawn of Satan.  Ah, progress....

      It was run on a Nova 1200 clone produced by EDS, FYI.  I wrote it in a BASIC dialect that included native database semantics. -- Ian

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 26, 2008
        Well, I got the list off my AT&T. Did it last night, actually, just remembered I was going to post it here as well. Many of the numbers are invalid, that I tried. Two I dialed were real numbers, one of which to a spanish place around here. I dunno if everyone can get attached files on a mailing list, if not, it won't be hard for me to copy and paste it all into an e-mail. Don't hesitate to ask me to if attaching a file to a group message doesn't work.

        --Ryan

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
          sicaproductions wrote:
          >> A 300 baud modem must've been awful!
          >
          > In a way, the slow modem just made for a different reality, but it
          > was the only thing we knew. It didn't seem "awful" 'cause this was as
          > good as it had ever been and as fast as it had ever been. Before
          > that, if we needed faster than the U.S. mail, we were Telexing things
          > and having a secretary re-type it on a Selectric.
          >
          > At 300 baud, I can clearly recall being able to read the text as it
          > scrolled past you on the green screen. You didn't have to save it to
          > disk or print it out if you didn't want to, you could just read it as
          > it came in! Since it was going by just about as fast as I could read
          > it, I didn't see any advantage to a faster modem at the time :-)
          > (seriously!) I did eventually upgrade to a "hot" new 1200 baud unit.

          I remember upgrading from 110 to 300. It felt sooooo much faster!

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
            Sridhar:
            Congrats!! You don't look old enough to remember upgrading from 110 to 300. Either you started real young or aged real well.

            I'm 41, started with computers in 1981, and I think my first modem was 300 baud even then. But the upgrade to 1200. WOW! Does anyone else remember RLE graphics on Genie (or was it Compuserver)?

            I still remember my last Genie (XTH43602) and compuserve (70145,1013) accounts.

            Kelly

            > In a way, the slow modem just made for a different reality, but it
            > was the only thing we knew. It didn't seem "awful" 'cause this was as
            > good as it had ever been and as fast as it had ever been. Before
            > that, if we needed faster than the U.S. mail, we were Telexing things
            > and having a secretary re-type it on a Selectric.
            >
            > At 300 baud, I can clearly recall being able to read the text as it
            > scrolled past you on the green screen. You didn't have to save it to
            > disk or print it out if you didn't want to, you could just read it as
            > it came in! Since it was going by just about as fast as I could read
            > it, I didn't see any advantage to a faster modem at the time :-)
            > (seriously!) I did eventually upgrade to a "hot" new 1200 baud unit.

            I remember upgrading from 110 to 300. It felt sooooo much faster!

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Mason Taube