Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Slow modems

  • Ryan Harvey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 25, 2008
      I never did have to endure dial-up. All my life I have been spoiled with high-speed ethernet and wireless. I am back on the cord, though. I finally convinced my folks to let me run it. So I have a cord going from the router, along the ceiling, and into a wired router in my room.
      Back on topic!
      1200 baud isn't too bad. Seems I never have used faster and only in the last few days have used dial-up BBSing I didn't know how fast it should be. I didn't know if I should get the fast scrolling text or it all in one blast. The text scrolling at 1200 baud is pretty good. It can load an entire large paragraph in just a few seconds, faster than I can read. The ASCII graphics take longer, about 2x or more longer for an entire screen of them, but during that time I tend to get tea or stir whatever I am cooking, or just something that only takes about a minute. I use a color monitor for my computer, but a green screen wouldn't be so bad. I don't use one because I leave my PC on all day. With color I can turn the screen off. On my IBM I can do essentially the same thing. But on my AT&T, there is no power to turn off. I would have to totally unplug the screen to avoid burn-in. Back in the day to keep your battery charged(if you had one) you just used your computer. Of course, back then PCs were used about as much as today and you scrolled through alot of text so you had no burn-in worries. On the subject, how long does it take for burn-in to occur, and can a color monitor experience burn? I have never had any burns because I am always catious about leaving one thing on my screen, and thus have no clue about the timing for that. It I can find a faster 8-bit modem(I may have one) I will likely up the ante on my AT&T PC 6300. 2400 baud would be enough.

      --Ryan

    • fieldfan1
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 26, 2008
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Harvey
        <fieldhippieryan@...> wrote:

        > I never did have to endure dial-up. All my life I have been spoiled
        with high-speed ethernet and wireless. I am back on the cord, though.
        I finally convinced my folks to let me run it. So I have a cord going
        from the router, along the ceiling, and into a wired router in my room.
        > Back on topic!
        > 1200 baud isn't too bad. Seems I never have used faster and only
        in the last few days have used dial-up BBSing I didn't know how fast
        it should be. I didn't know if I should get the fast scrolling text or
        it all in one blast. The text scrolling at 1200 baud is pretty good.
        It can load an entire large paragraph in just a few seconds, faster
        than I can read. The ASCII graphics take longer, about 2x or more
        longer for an entire screen of them, but during that time I tend to
        get tea or stir whatever I am cooking, or just something that only
        takes about a minute. I use a color monitor for my computer, but a
        green screen wouldn't be so bad. I don't use one because I leave my PC
        on all day. With color I can turn the screen off. On my IBM I can do
        essentially the same thing. But on my AT&T, there is no power to turn
        off. I would have to totally unplug the screen to avoid burn-in. Back
        in the day to keep your battery charged(if you had one) you just used
        your computer. Of course,
        > back then PCs were used about as much as today and you scrolled
        through alot of text so you had no burn-in worries. On the subject,
        how long does it take for burn-in to occur, and can a color monitor
        experience burn? I have never had any burns because I am always
        catious about leaving one thing on my screen, and thus have no clue
        about the timing for that. It I can find a faster 8-bit modem(I may
        have one) I will likely up the ante on my AT&T PC 6300. 2400 baud
        would be enough.

        > --Ryan
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        Try it now.

        My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20 with a 300 baud VIC modem,
        but I did most of my early telecom on an Atari 800XL with first a 300
        baud and then a 2400 baud modem. 2400 was amazingly fast to me back then.
      • Ian King
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 26, 2008
          One of my first industry jobs was writing a system to run a check imprinter.  During the introduction of the system to the company who had purchased it, we (I) had a connection into their site to do maintenance or troubleshoot issues.  It was over a phone line with - you guessed it - a 300 baud modem.  It was painfully slow, but less burdensome than traveling an hour to the customer site each time....  At least I think it was!

          That was also my first experience of technology displacing jobs: the system I'd written replaced twelve people with Friden Flexiwriters, with three people on ADM-3 terminals.  It also improved the efficiency of the business because reorders could be done by pulling up a record out of a database.  Needless to say, on the site visit we did conduct, the managers loved us and the employees looked on us as the spawn of Satan.  Ah, progress....

          It was run on a Nova 1200 clone produced by EDS, FYI.  I wrote it in a BASIC dialect that included native database semantics. -- Ian

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 26, 2008
            Well, I got the list off my AT&T. Did it last night, actually, just remembered I was going to post it here as well. Many of the numbers are invalid, that I tried. Two I dialed were real numbers, one of which to a spanish place around here. I dunno if everyone can get attached files on a mailing list, if not, it won't be hard for me to copy and paste it all into an e-mail. Don't hesitate to ask me to if attaching a file to a group message doesn't work.

            --Ryan

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
              sicaproductions wrote:
              >> A 300 baud modem must've been awful!
              >
              > In a way, the slow modem just made for a different reality, but it
              > was the only thing we knew. It didn't seem "awful" 'cause this was as
              > good as it had ever been and as fast as it had ever been. Before
              > that, if we needed faster than the U.S. mail, we were Telexing things
              > and having a secretary re-type it on a Selectric.
              >
              > At 300 baud, I can clearly recall being able to read the text as it
              > scrolled past you on the green screen. You didn't have to save it to
              > disk or print it out if you didn't want to, you could just read it as
              > it came in! Since it was going by just about as fast as I could read
              > it, I didn't see any advantage to a faster modem at the time :-)
              > (seriously!) I did eventually upgrade to a "hot" new 1200 baud unit.

              I remember upgrading from 110 to 300. It felt sooooo much faster!

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                Sridhar:
                Congrats!! You don't look old enough to remember upgrading from 110 to 300. Either you started real young or aged real well.

                I'm 41, started with computers in 1981, and I think my first modem was 300 baud even then. But the upgrade to 1200. WOW! Does anyone else remember RLE graphics on Genie (or was it Compuserver)?

                I still remember my last Genie (XTH43602) and compuserve (70145,1013) accounts.

                Kelly

                > In a way, the slow modem just made for a different reality, but it
                > was the only thing we knew. It didn't seem "awful" 'cause this was as
                > good as it had ever been and as fast as it had ever been. Before
                > that, if we needed faster than the U.S. mail, we were Telexing things
                > and having a secretary re-type it on a Selectric.
                >
                > At 300 baud, I can clearly recall being able to read the text as it
                > scrolled past you on the green screen. You didn't have to save it to
                > disk or print it out if you didn't want to, you could just read it as
                > it came in! Since it was going by just about as fast as I could read
                > it, I didn't see any advantage to a faster modem at the time :-)
                > (seriously!) I did eventually upgrade to a "hot" new 1200 baud unit.

                I remember upgrading from 110 to 300. It felt sooooo much faster!

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Mason Taube
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                  It was Compuserve. They later brought us GIF89 once color widely used.