Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: FW: [TYPEWRITERS] bad keyboards....

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hello all and Happy New Year,

      I just read thru this thread and found a few things interesting. Jim is sight-impaired so I can see [pun] why keyboards would be very important to him. Our first response is to attack the messenger (the article, not Jim). The article is what it is - an attempt by a "popular press" outlet to make their magazine more interesting to typical PC users. Its not historical. I find it interested that they can't find any bad keyboards today. I hate Dell and IBM/Lenovo keyboards because of the tiny PgUp, PgDn, Home and End keys - the vary same thing they criticized in the C64. Of course Dell and Lenovo are current advertisers...

      Mason was the first to look at the article from the standpoint of a collector or computer history buff. I think a VCF exhibit of examples of bad keyboards would be a winner, especially if it covered the history of these bad keyboards - cost, surplus parts (like the screen in the Osborn 1) or other factors. A membrane keyboard *is* kid proof. Today the OLPC laptop has a sealed keyboard for the same reason. The PCjr chicklet keyboard is a great collectible today because so few (relatively speaking) were produced and sold. They sell for what I consider exorbitant prices but no PCjr collection is complete without one.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 13, 2008
        I strongly do NOT agree on two points. First, it's pretty dumb to say that advertising has anything to do with a fluffy thing like 'bad keyboards' ... Second, a whole VCF exhibit about them? Sounds boring. (Although an exhibit of "Bizarre I/O of Yesteryear" would be interesting if the exhibitor were creative.)

        Our SW porting lab at IBM had all different keyboards for the DG, Dec, HP,
        SGI, Sun, and IBM workstations. The standout oddest would have to be the
        Sun.

        Oddest config ever for me was the Calma dual-screen CAD workstation.
        The text half of the CRT was just a standard Hazeltine terminal with the
        circuit board made flush with the CRT by turning it around backwards. So
        the system had a second hidden keyboard sticking out the back if you took
        the cover off.

        John A.

        Coolest new keyboard
        Optimus OLED animated color graphic keycaps.
        http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/88ee

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 13, 2008
          Evan,

          I believe I sensed some anxiety in your recent replies :)
          Could it be that Eli Manning has to confront the notorious Tony Romo in the playoffs today ?
          I'm rooting for the NY Giants too (my hometown)

          =Dan
          just kidding

          Evan wrote:
          I strongly do NOT agree on two points.  First, it's pretty dumb to say that advertising has anything to do with a fluffy thing like 'bad keyboards' ... Second, a whole VCF exhibit about them?  Sounds boring.  (Although an exhibit of "Bizarre I/O of Yesteryear" would be interesting if the exhibitor were creative.)

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 13, 2008
            I'm not worried. :)

            Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: FW: [TYPEWRITERS] bad keyboards....
            Date: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 am
            Size: 2K
            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

            Evan,

            I believe I sensed some anxiety in your recent replies :)
            Could it be that Eli Manning has to confront the notorious Tony Romo in the playoffs today ?
            I'm rooting for the NY Giants too (my hometown)

            =Dan
            just kidding

            Evan wrote: I strongly do NOT agree on two points. First, it's pretty dumb to say that advertising has anything to do with a fluffy thing like 'bad keyboards' ... Second, a whole VCF exhibit about them? Sounds boring. (Although an exhibit of "Bizarre I/O of Yesteryear" would be interesting if the exhibitor were creative.)