Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Might be picking up some DEC stuff

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
      > I just spoke to the woman who has the machines again. She said,
      > among other things, she has two complete DECMate systems. Do
      > these have any real relevance?

      Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
      There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
      from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
      the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
      insistent on boot floppies.

      There are DEC fans everywhere, MARCH maybe could swap them for other things.

      John A.
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
        > Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
        > There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
        > from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
        > the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
        > insistent on boot floppies.

        DECmate I (VT278) was in a VT100 terminal case and normally used external
        8" floppies in a narrow pedestal. DECmate II was a large desktop PC style
        with internal 5 1/4 floppies (nosiest I have ever heard) and uses an 11"
        exernal monitor (VR201) and cable that is DEC specific. DECmate III was a
        smaller version of the DECmate II. They have limited expandability. DECmate I
        can use external RL hard drives and DECmate II/III had an internal hard
        drive option. They also had auxilary processor options.

        The DECmate II/III floppies can be read/written by a PC with 5 1/4 high
        density drive. If you don't get floppies I can make you some for
        any of them.

        WPS word processing and OS/8 (most popular PDP-8 operating system) runs on
        them. Not all OS/8 software will run due to incompatabilities of some of
        the peripherals.

        Machines without front panel are not as popular but they give you a small
        system if you are interested in playing with 8's.
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
          I cannot pick these up. I believe they are still available. THey are in Farmingdale, NJ. Look for a Free ad on CNJ Craigslist if anyone else is interested.