RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Might be picking up some DEC stuff

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
      Message
      >>> although a 1 would be awesome

      LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

      Sorry Joe.  It's nothing personal.  Good luck getting a PDP-1 and restoring it.   :-)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
        yes, i just read, 3 in existance, understood, its not going to happen

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
          Message
          If you ever visit the SF bay area, then be sure to visit the Computer History Museum ... where they have the world's only fully restored, operational PDP-1.

          At the VCF 9 ('06) I was standing in the exhibit hall, talking to Bill Degnan about "SpaceWar" ... then I noticed that right behind us was Steve Russell ... the guy who PROGRAMMED that game.  He and Peter Samson were challenging visitors to play against them.

          Also, it took several experts and some of the PDP-1's original creators seven months to restore the machine, filling a room in which you could park your station wagon several times over.   :)

          And finally: if you DO get a PDP-8, then MARCH is kidnapping you, tying you up, and beating you with a wet towel until you hand it over to us.  Seriously.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
              > I just spoke to the woman who has the machines again. She said,
              > among other things, she has two complete DECMate systems. Do
              > these have any real relevance?

              Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
              There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
              from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
              the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
              insistent on boot floppies.

              There are DEC fans everywhere, MARCH maybe could swap them for other things.

              John A.
            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                > Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
                > There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
                > from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
                > the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
                > insistent on boot floppies.

                DECmate I (VT278) was in a VT100 terminal case and normally used external
                8" floppies in a narrow pedestal. DECmate II was a large desktop PC style
                with internal 5 1/4 floppies (nosiest I have ever heard) and uses an 11"
                exernal monitor (VR201) and cable that is DEC specific. DECmate III was a
                smaller version of the DECmate II. They have limited expandability. DECmate I
                can use external RL hard drives and DECmate II/III had an internal hard
                drive option. They also had auxilary processor options.

                The DECmate II/III floppies can be read/written by a PC with 5 1/4 high
                density drive. If you don't get floppies I can make you some for
                any of them.

                WPS word processing and OS/8 (most popular PDP-8 operating system) runs on
                them. Not all OS/8 software will run due to incompatabilities of some of
                the peripherals.

                Machines without front panel are not as popular but they give you a small
                system if you are interested in playing with 8's.
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                  I cannot pick these up. I believe they are still available. THey are in Farmingdale, NJ. Look for a Free ad on CNJ Craigslist if anyone else is interested.