Re: Might be picking up some DEC stuff

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
      Just forgot to integrate my questions into that last email. First off, what kind of power requirements do these things have? The woman I spoke to did mention "mini-computer," so I'm hoping for either an 8 or 11 (although a 1 would be awesome). Also, what does she likely mean by disk drives? Floppys, or platters?

      Thanks
      Joe

      On Jan 2, 2008 9:32 PM, Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
      Saw a posting on craigslist for a bunch of free DEC equipment. The owner didn't specify what exactly, but did say "monitors, disk drives, CPUs." I called the number, and she didn't tell me anything specific, but that we could set up a pickup time for tomorrow. I mainly want something to tinker with, but if there's anything there particularly of interest, something that infoage doesn't already have, I'd consider a donation for sure.

      Thanks
      Joe

    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
        > Just forgot to integrate my questions into that last email. First off, what
        > kind of power requirements do these things have?

        Normal 110 unless your getting something really big.

        > The woman I spoke to did
        > mention "mini-computer," so I'm hoping for either an 8 or 11 (although a 1
        > would be awesome). Also, what does she likely mean by disk drives? Floppys,
        > or platters?

        Not enough information. It could be anything from the small PC like machines
        to rack stuff. Did they hint on the vehicle size needed to haul? Drives
        could be floppies, external SCSI, or removable platter depending on vintage.
        If its newer it could be one of the many VAX machines which came in a
        wide variety of sizes.

        Let us know what you get.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
          Message
          >>> although a 1 would be awesome

          LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

          Sorry Joe.  It's nothing personal.  Good luck getting a PDP-1 and restoring it.   :-)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
            yes, i just read, 3 in existance, understood, its not going to happen

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
              Message
              If you ever visit the SF bay area, then be sure to visit the Computer History Museum ... where they have the world's only fully restored, operational PDP-1.

              At the VCF 9 ('06) I was standing in the exhibit hall, talking to Bill Degnan about "SpaceWar" ... then I noticed that right behind us was Steve Russell ... the guy who PROGRAMMED that game.  He and Peter Samson were challenging visitors to play against them.

              Also, it took several experts and some of the PDP-1's original creators seven months to restore the machine, filling a room in which you could park your station wagon several times over.   :)

              And finally: if you DO get a PDP-8, then MARCH is kidnapping you, tying you up, and beating you with a wet towel until you hand it over to us.  Seriously.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                  > I just spoke to the woman who has the machines again. She said,
                  > among other things, she has two complete DECMate systems. Do
                  > these have any real relevance?

                  Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
                  There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
                  from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
                  the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
                  insistent on boot floppies.

                  There are DEC fans everywhere, MARCH maybe could swap them for other things.

                  John A.
                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                    > Guess what? It's a PDP-8. Chip.
                    > There may be DECmates I haven't heard about but they were word processors
                    > from 100+ pounds down to maybe 25 pounds (including monitor) and used
                    > the PDP-8 architecture. The VT278 may be the most valueable. Be politely
                    > insistent on boot floppies.

                    DECmate I (VT278) was in a VT100 terminal case and normally used external
                    8" floppies in a narrow pedestal. DECmate II was a large desktop PC style
                    with internal 5 1/4 floppies (nosiest I have ever heard) and uses an 11"
                    exernal monitor (VR201) and cable that is DEC specific. DECmate III was a
                    smaller version of the DECmate II. They have limited expandability. DECmate I
                    can use external RL hard drives and DECmate II/III had an internal hard
                    drive option. They also had auxilary processor options.

                    The DECmate II/III floppies can be read/written by a PC with 5 1/4 high
                    density drive. If you don't get floppies I can make you some for
                    any of them.

                    WPS word processing and OS/8 (most popular PDP-8 operating system) runs on
                    them. Not all OS/8 software will run due to incompatabilities of some of
                    the peripherals.

                    Machines without front panel are not as popular but they give you a small
                    system if you are interested in playing with 8's.
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                      I cannot pick these up. I believe they are still available. THey are in Farmingdale, NJ. Look for a Free ad on CNJ Craigslist if anyone else is interested.