Speaking of projects....

  • Ian King
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      Speaking of projects....

      I picked up an Overland Data 9-track on eBay a while back, and I've had no success finding any documentation for it.  This is particularly important because when I turn it on, it just flashes its lights at me.  It's an OD 3210 GCR, and it has both standard Pertec connectors and a connector/cable intended for a PC parallel port.  It would sure be cool to run off magtape images I have found on the web, then load them on one of the DEC machines….

      When I opened it up, I noticed it has a watch battery on its electronics board; needless to say, that was NG.  I replaced it, but the thing still just blinks at me.  The battery suggests there are settings it wants to persist, and I've seen this behavior with older PC motherboards where they won't pass POST if the battery isn't up to snuff.  I'm wondering if there is some magic switch press sequence or perhaps even some commands it expects to see over that parallel port line (from some PC-based app, perhaps).

      Does anybody have any leads on this?  Thanks.

      BTW, what I have is mostly DEC but also a fair amount of Data General, and while my information library is by no means comprehensive, I have some unusual items.  I have three PDP-8s, seven PDP-11s and I've sort of lost track of how many VAXen - those 3100s just seem to multiply like bunnies.  :-)  I also have a couple of DG machines, and of course a range of peripherals including paper tape readers, magtape drives, various fixed and removable disks, some terminals and DEC 'glue' pieces like DECservers and an InfoServer to upload their OS.  Needless to say, I try to have documentation for all this, so that gives you an idea of what I might have!  (Oh, I just picked up an RS/6000 with AIX 3.2.)

      Again, thanks from the "other" coast.  -- Ian (Seattle)

    • Ian King
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
        Oops, that's what I get for doing it from memory.  It's an OD 3601 GCR.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          Are you sure of the numbers? I have the User Manual for a 3610 and a 3210. Nothing on the 3601. What is the blink pattern? If it matches anything in my manual I can decipher it for you.

          There are 4 pages of blink error codes.

          Kelly

          Oops, that's what I get for doing it from memory. It's an OD 3601 GCR.

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2008
            Double-checked the model number. This is an "open face" 9-track, that
            stands vertically - it's only about five or six inches deep. I've seen
            occasional references to it on the net, but haven't found anything else.
            From what I've been able to garner, it sounds like the 3x10 is SCSI - does
            that make sense from the info you have?

            All the green LEDs come on steady (except for the 6250 bps) and the red
            Alert LED blinks rapidly and continuously.

            I'm starting to wonder if I need to take this down to the docks....

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
              OK, Alert flashing, all others green but the 6250 is a VBT (very bad thing).

              By all others I green mean:
              Load
              Unload
              Online
              Wrten
              1600

              are all green solid.
              It means Program ROM Failure.

              That is if it uses the same error table as the enclosed 3210.

              Kelly
              Double-checked the model number.  This is an "open face" 9-track, that stands vertically - it's only about five or six inches deep.  I've seen occasional references to it on the net, but haven't found anything else.  From what I've been able to garner, it sounds like the 3x10 is SCSI - does that make sense from the info you have?

[...]

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            • Ian King
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008

                <sigh>

                Oh well, this is only the second time I've purchased a worthless piece of junk on eBay.  :-)  Last time, I was able to 'revive' the item by finding a 'parts beast' - maybe I can do the same here.  I seem to remember I didn't pay much - at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself....

                Thanks, Kelly.  I really appreciate your help. -- Ian

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008

                  BTW, while we're on the subject: what's the stated difference between the 3210 and 3610?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
                    >> It means Program ROM Failure.

                    > the second time I've purchased a worthless piece of junk on eBay.

                    Don't give up yet. Open the thing up and check that the chips are seated
                    properly. I scrapped a tape drive that looked great but had been dropped.
                    All the mechanics Were OK, but it flashed. After too much had been
                    dismantled, I diccovered the ROM flew out of it's socket. Dummmm.

                    John A.