RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: This Sat: Moving of the IBM Series 1 mini Party. Anyone have a terminal?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007
      >>> We're up against demographics even more so. In the class I taught this
      fall, there were 16 males, one female. It is worth it to have diversity
      however. Let's not needlessly offend people who may someday read these
      messages, I agree. Bill

      >> Quit bitching .... oops, "complaining". :-) -Evan

      > Evan, I think you clicked the "send" button on that message, instead of
      the "cancel" button. As President and Co-Founder of MARCH, as the person who
      sets policy, do you have anything else to post? Also: a poster in this
      thread, sent a private apology to me and some MARCH officers. I appreciate
      that.

      My post was meant to lighten things up. If prospective new members couldn't
      see that, regardless of gender, then ... that's their problem. Yes, I
      could've said all the right things to be politically correct. But I think
      that in a group of 99.999% male nerds, we have to tolerate some sarcasm and
      guys-being-guys. That being said, I think we all do a pretty good job
      around here of NOT letting our discussions deteriorate into caveman-speak.
      (Not that there's anything wrong with being a caveman. I apologize to any
      cave-people offended by my comment.) So anyway, unless any of our members
      get out of hand (which only happened once, and THAT guy got himself banned),
      then my vote it to keep things loose.

      I don't think the posters in question did anything to apologize for.

      >>> We all had a nice dinner in Wilmington DE and talked some time
      afterwards about computer collecting, teaching and history. We had a good
      time, and I was well-informed by the discussion.

      Wish I could've been there, but Bill interrupted football season.