Re: This Sat: Moving of the IBM Series 1 mini Party. Anyone have a terminal?

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

      > Quit bitching .... oops, "complaining". :-)

      Bill, thanks for your considerations.

      Evan, I think you clicked the "send" button on that message, instead
      of the "cancel" button. As President and Co-Founder of MARCH, as the
      person who sets policy, do you have anything else to post?

      Also: a poster in this thread, sent a private apology to me and some
      MARCH officers. I appreciate that.

      This thread started as an invitation to Bill's move of his Series 1
      system. My wife and I joined Bill later in the evening, after he and
      Bryan moved the system to Bill's office from his home. It's quite a
      system, a minicomputer of the late 1970's from IBM for small office
      record-keeping. We all had a nice dinner in Wilmington DE and talked
      some time afterwards about computer collecting, teaching and history.
      We had a good time, and I was well-informed by the discussion.

      Herb Johnson
      Best of the new year to all
      retrotechnology.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007
        >>> We're up against demographics even more so. In the class I taught this
        fall, there were 16 males, one female. It is worth it to have diversity
        however. Let's not needlessly offend people who may someday read these
        messages, I agree. Bill

        >> Quit bitching .... oops, "complaining". :-) -Evan

        > Evan, I think you clicked the "send" button on that message, instead of
        the "cancel" button. As President and Co-Founder of MARCH, as the person who
        sets policy, do you have anything else to post? Also: a poster in this
        thread, sent a private apology to me and some MARCH officers. I appreciate
        that.

        My post was meant to lighten things up. If prospective new members couldn't
        see that, regardless of gender, then ... that's their problem. Yes, I
        could've said all the right things to be politically correct. But I think
        that in a group of 99.999% male nerds, we have to tolerate some sarcasm and
        guys-being-guys. That being said, I think we all do a pretty good job
        around here of NOT letting our discussions deteriorate into caveman-speak.
        (Not that there's anything wrong with being a caveman. I apologize to any
        cave-people offended by my comment.) So anyway, unless any of our members
        get out of hand (which only happened once, and THAT guy got himself banned),
        then my vote it to keep things loose.

        I don't think the posters in question did anything to apologize for.

        >>> We all had a nice dinner in Wilmington DE and talked some time
        afterwards about computer collecting, teaching and history. We had a good
        time, and I was well-informed by the discussion.

        Wish I could've been there, but Bill interrupted football season.