RE: [midatlanticretro] Two months until TCF...

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
      > Hi everyone... so there are two months until TCF... how are your
      > efforts to get everything in working order?

      Been meaning to reply to this for a while...

      I have fitted a newer switcher PS in my OSI C4P-MF. This is due to
      the problem that the computer currently draws 7.2 amps and the existing
      (factory original) PS was a pair of linear 3 amp supplies, Deltron
      QPS-1's. OSI claimed that they were 3.5 amp supplies, but the original
      Deltron documentation says 3. The computer will run with the original
      supplies, but they quickly overheat. If left operating for more than
      about 30 minutes, the solder on the supplies will start to flow. I am
      quite pleased with this modification. I have been very careful and can
      reverse it (restore to factory original condition) with about 15 minutes
      of screwdriver action and about two minutes with a soldering iron. The
      soldering is required because OSI always soldered their AC connections.
      The modification was a challenge because the metal frames of the original
      PS's are integral to the structure of the computer. Anyway, I have done
      several tests, having the computer operating for up to 18 hours with no
      problems.

      For my Sol, I usually run CP/M on it. Jim Battle has several programs on
      his web site that I would like to be able to easily run. They were
      originally loaded from cassette tape and are stored in "ent" files, the
      ASCII data stream you would usually see coming in over the cassette port.
      They are also "ORG'd" at address 0x0000 which conflicts with CP/M. I am
      attempting to write a program that will load one of these files into memory,
      converting the ASCII to binary and buffering any writes to the first 512
      bytes of memory out of the way until the entire file is read (after that,
      we don't need CP/M any more) then move the block where it belongs and
      jump to it.

      One other thing I'd like to do is to buy and fit a new CRT into my ADM-3A
      (which I use as a terminal for several of my S-100 boxes). It currently
      has a good bit of screen burn and my secondary ADM-3A has the dreaded CRT
      mold problem, recently discussed on classiccmp.

      Bill Sudbrink