Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: This Sat: Moving of the IBM Series 1 mini Party. Anyone have a terminal?

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2007
      Quit bitching .... oops, "complaining". :-)

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Quit bitching .... oops, "complaining". :-)

        Bill, thanks for your considerations.

        Evan, I think you clicked the "send" button on that message, instead
        of the "cancel" button. As President and Co-Founder of MARCH, as the
        person who sets policy, do you have anything else to post?

        Also: a poster in this thread, sent a private apology to me and some
        MARCH officers. I appreciate that.

        This thread started as an invitation to Bill's move of his Series 1
        system. My wife and I joined Bill later in the evening, after he and
        Bryan moved the system to Bill's office from his home. It's quite a
        system, a minicomputer of the late 1970's from IBM for small office
        record-keeping. We all had a nice dinner in Wilmington DE and talked
        some time afterwards about computer collecting, teaching and history.
        We had a good time, and I was well-informed by the discussion.

        Herb Johnson
        Best of the new year to all
        retrotechnology.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2007
          >>> We're up against demographics even more so. In the class I taught this
          fall, there were 16 males, one female. It is worth it to have diversity
          however. Let's not needlessly offend people who may someday read these
          messages, I agree. Bill

          >> Quit bitching .... oops, "complaining". :-) -Evan

          > Evan, I think you clicked the "send" button on that message, instead of
          the "cancel" button. As President and Co-Founder of MARCH, as the person who
          sets policy, do you have anything else to post? Also: a poster in this
          thread, sent a private apology to me and some MARCH officers. I appreciate
          that.

          My post was meant to lighten things up. If prospective new members couldn't
          see that, regardless of gender, then ... that's their problem. Yes, I
          could've said all the right things to be politically correct. But I think
          that in a group of 99.999% male nerds, we have to tolerate some sarcasm and
          guys-being-guys. That being said, I think we all do a pretty good job
          around here of NOT letting our discussions deteriorate into caveman-speak.
          (Not that there's anything wrong with being a caveman. I apologize to any
          cave-people offended by my comment.) So anyway, unless any of our members
          get out of hand (which only happened once, and THAT guy got himself banned),
          then my vote it to keep things loose.

          I don't think the posters in question did anything to apologize for.

          >>> We all had a nice dinner in Wilmington DE and talked some time
          afterwards about computer collecting, teaching and history. We had a good
          time, and I was well-informed by the discussion.

          Wish I could've been there, but Bill interrupted football season.