Re: [midatlanticretro] A new MARCH idea...

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2007
      > In theory, we could even have a special bin for "MARCH Miscellaneous"
      > .... magazines, software, game cartridges, even the occasional whole
      > computer!

      I think this idea got rejected, if I read the flow correctly, I'll just say
      that the idea of trading things (things = things, books) amongst ourselves
      (selves = MARCH) first is always a motivation, soas to both get more And
      give more, and ultimately see that that the area of interest gets served.
      I'd be perfectly willing to submit lists of wanted and available things to
      an us-only craigslist sort of thing... either with the books separated or
      without.

      Switching topics a bit, the world energy situation does make me drive my 20
      mpg beast less, and look towards electronically coordinated exchanges (IE
      the us-only craigslist) as part of the solution. And much appreciation for
      that coordinated collection of people called a Swapmeet. Ours could
      potentially have everything logically exchanged in the weeks before the
      physical exchange. Just the thing when moving those 200 lb systems in your
      economy car.

      I see no complicated infrastructure, just a few days picked for infoAge
      gatherings to work/paint/pizza/whatever with the swapping done discretely
      during the day/weekend.

      John A.
      I'll say it: Merry Christmas
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 28, 2007
        A February meeting of March?

        At 02:00 PM 12/28/2007 -0500, you wrote:
        > > In theory, we could even have a special bin for "MARCH Miscellaneous"
        > > .... magazines, software, game cartridges, even the occasional whole
        > > computer!
        >
        >I think this idea got rejected, if I read the flow correctly, I'll just say
        >that the idea of trading things (things = things, books) amongst ourselves
        >(selves = MARCH) first is always a motivation, soas to both get more And
        >give more, and ultimately see that that the area of interest gets served.
        >I'd be perfectly willing to submit lists of wanted and available things to
        >an us-only craigslist sort of thing... either with the books separated or
        >without.
        >
        >Switching topics a bit, the world energy situation does make me drive my 20
        >mpg beast less, and look towards electronically coordinated exchanges (IE
        >the us-only craigslist) as part of the solution. And much appreciation for
        >that coordinated collection of people called a Swapmeet. Ours could
        >potentially have everything logically exchanged in the weeks before the
        >physical exchange. Just the thing when moving those 200 lb systems in your
        >economy car.
        >
        >I see no complicated infrastructure, just a few days picked for infoAge
        >gatherings to work/paint/pizza/whatever with the swapping done discretely
        >during the day/weekend.
        >
        >John A.
        >I'll say it: Merry Christmas
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008
          In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:

          Ebay #280187570207

          A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I paid
          for my IBM 129 keypunch...

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Mike Hatch
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008
            Looks like a bidding war for that graphics board between two people
            then "cpmuseum" pipped them both at the end, beyond my funds.

            "cpmuseum" has been laying out some serious cash in the last month for
            older computer kit, see some of the recent auctions at
            http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/cpmuseum/

            Mike.
            www.soemtron.org
            www.brickfieldspark.org

            > In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:
            >
            > Ebay #280187570207
            >
            > A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I
            paid
            > for my IBM 129 keypunch...
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          • Ian King
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
              Ah, the 129!  I learned my first programming language - Fortran - on one of those.  -- Ian

              In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:

              Ebay #280187570207

              A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I paid
              for my IBM 129 keypunch...

              Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
              Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
                And I thought it might go for less than $200. Man am I out of my league here.

                Kelly

                In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:

                Ebay #280187570207

                A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I paid
                for my IBM 129 keypunch...

                Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
                  On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Ian King wrote:

                  > Ah, the 129! I learned my first programming language - Fortran - on one of
                  > those. -- Ian

                  Same here, except I started on the 029. Later on, I went backwards,
                  and used an 026 in the Air Force.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Ian King
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
                    I, too, went backwards, but to the 029, on which I learned BASIC.  :-)