RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: A new MARCH idea...

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
      I agree with most of what you said.

      You're probably right about bins quickly becoming unsorted, but that applies
      to shelves, too. We probably will have to use traditional shelves just
      because they can hold more books per square foot than horizontal bins. This
      is an issue because we're going to START with far more than 200 books, maybe
      more than 1,000 (okay, probably not 1,000, but there are at least a few
      hundred already in InfoAge's possession. Rather than sort them strictly by
      category and then alphabetically inside each category, I think the easiest
      method is to sort them only * generally * by category, and leave it at that.
      I agree with you about using simple colored dots to indicate the prices and
      a simple lockbox-and-paper method of tracking the sales. (Back in 2000, at
      eWeek, I interviewed Scott Cook who founded Intuit. Of his company's new
      hosted accounting software, he explained, "It's for people who think General
      Ledger was a World War II hero.")

      Anyway, it sounds like most people agree with what Fred and I think, which
      is that book sales are an easy(-ish) way to make a few dollars for InfoAge
      and MARCH, clear some valuable space, and provide a community service.
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 28, 2007
        > In theory, we could even have a special bin for "MARCH Miscellaneous"
        > .... magazines, software, game cartridges, even the occasional whole
        > computer!

        I think this idea got rejected, if I read the flow correctly, I'll just say
        that the idea of trading things (things = things, books) amongst ourselves
        (selves = MARCH) first is always a motivation, soas to both get more And
        give more, and ultimately see that that the area of interest gets served.
        I'd be perfectly willing to submit lists of wanted and available things to
        an us-only craigslist sort of thing... either with the books separated or
        without.

        Switching topics a bit, the world energy situation does make me drive my 20
        mpg beast less, and look towards electronically coordinated exchanges (IE
        the us-only craigslist) as part of the solution. And much appreciation for
        that coordinated collection of people called a Swapmeet. Ours could
        potentially have everything logically exchanged in the weeks before the
        physical exchange. Just the thing when moving those 200 lb systems in your
        economy car.

        I see no complicated infrastructure, just a few days picked for infoAge
        gatherings to work/paint/pizza/whatever with the swapping done discretely
        during the day/weekend.

        John A.
        I'll say it: Merry Christmas
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 28, 2007
          A February meeting of March?

          At 02:00 PM 12/28/2007 -0500, you wrote:
          > > In theory, we could even have a special bin for "MARCH Miscellaneous"
          > > .... magazines, software, game cartridges, even the occasional whole
          > > computer!
          >
          >I think this idea got rejected, if I read the flow correctly, I'll just say
          >that the idea of trading things (things = things, books) amongst ourselves
          >(selves = MARCH) first is always a motivation, soas to both get more And
          >give more, and ultimately see that that the area of interest gets served.
          >I'd be perfectly willing to submit lists of wanted and available things to
          >an us-only craigslist sort of thing... either with the books separated or
          >without.
          >
          >Switching topics a bit, the world energy situation does make me drive my 20
          >mpg beast less, and look towards electronically coordinated exchanges (IE
          >the us-only craigslist) as part of the solution. And much appreciation for
          >that coordinated collection of people called a Swapmeet. Ours could
          >potentially have everything logically exchanged in the weeks before the
          >physical exchange. Just the thing when moving those 200 lb systems in your
          >economy car.
          >
          >I see no complicated infrastructure, just a few days picked for infoAge
          >gatherings to work/paint/pizza/whatever with the swapping done discretely
          >during the day/weekend.
          >
          >John A.
          >I'll say it: Merry Christmas
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008
            In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:

            Ebay #280187570207

            A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I paid
            for my IBM 129 keypunch...

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Mike Hatch
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2008
              Looks like a bidding war for that graphics board between two people
              then "cpmuseum" pipped them both at the end, beyond my funds.

              "cpmuseum" has been laying out some serious cash in the last month for
              older computer kit, see some of the recent auctions at
              http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/cpmuseum/

              Mike.
              www.soemtron.org
              www.brickfieldspark.org

              > In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:
              >
              > Ebay #280187570207
              >
              > A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I
              paid
              > for my IBM 129 keypunch...
              >

              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            • Ian King
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
                Ah, the 129!  I learned my first programming language - Fortran - on one of those.  -- Ian

                In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:

                Ebay #280187570207

                A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I paid
                for my IBM 129 keypunch...

                Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
                  And I thought it might go for less than $200. Man am I out of my league here.

                  Kelly

                  In case you TRS-80 fans missed it, take a look at this:

                  Ebay #280187570207

                  A Model II graphics board sold for $787.50! That's more than I paid
                  for my IBM 129 keypunch...

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                  Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
                    On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Ian King wrote:

                    > Ah, the 129! I learned my first programming language - Fortran - on one of
                    > those. -- Ian

                    Same here, except I started on the 029. Later on, I went backwards,
                    and used an 026 in the Air Force.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Ian King
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2008
                      I, too, went backwards, but to the 029, on which I learned BASIC.  :-)