Sat 29th - here's the deal -

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 27, 2007
      The formal party idea has been scrapped, but I still plan to have an event
      and even if one person comes down that's fine you're all welcome! I have
      an all-day and into the night activity planned instead. Some time in the
      early afternoon I plan to take apart my IBM Series 1 computer at my home (I
      live 18 miles south west) and bring it to my office in Wilmington , because
      it has 220 power and room for proper operations and experimenting. This is
      a big job and will take all day. In addition to the two full rack
      enclosures of very heavy components, I have about 50 service manuals and
      software, etc. It will take more than one trip with my little Honda
      van. If anyone wants to join me at any point along the way, great. I have
      plenty of munchies at my home and or office, plus other stuff for people to
      do. If anyone wants to give me a specific time that they plan to come
      down, we can also plan to go out to lunch/dinner/drinks whatever. I look
      forward to Saturday, I hope to see some of you too.

      I used to work at IBM, but it has been many years since I worked on an old
      minicomputer system like this one!

      Bill
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
        Bill,

        I plan on being there.. around 1-ish at your home?

        To everybody else who are on the fence about coming to this event:
        I am sure we will be able to persuade Bill to test the big capacitors in
        the computer with his bare hands... ;) Also the weather forecast is for
        close to 50 and partly cloudy!

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
          Bryan - Sounds great. see you then. 50 deg F is perfect moving weather.

          Anyone else - Email me privately if you're coming want my cell phone number
          to coordinate or plan to come down later in the day.

          Bill

          At 02:54 PM 12/28/2007 -0500, you wrote:

          >Bill,
          >
          > I plan on being there.. around 1-ish at your home?
          >
          > To everybody else who are on the fence about coming to this event:
          >I am sure we will be able to persuade Bill to test the big capacitors in
          >the computer with his bare hands... ;) Also the weather forecast is for
          >close to 50 and partly cloudy!
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Bryan
          >

          >B. Degnan wrote:
          > > The formal party idea has been scrapped, but I still plan to have an event
          > > and even if one person comes down that's fine you're all welcome! I have
          > > an all-day and into the night activity planned instead. Some time in the
          > > early afternoon I plan to take apart my IBM Series 1 computer at my
          > home (I
          > > live 18 miles south west) and bring it to my office in Wilmington ,
          > because
          > > it has 220 power and room for proper operations and
          > experimenting. This is
          > > a big job and will take all day. In addition to the two full rack
          > > enclosures of very heavy components, I have about 50 service manuals and
          > > software, etc. It will take more than one trip with my little Honda
          > > van. If anyone wants to join me at any point along the way, great. I
          > have
          > > plenty of munchies at my home and or office, plus other stuff for
          > people to
          > > do. If anyone wants to give me a specific time that they plan to come
          > > down, we can also plan to go out to lunch/dinner/drinks whatever. I look
          > > forward to Saturday, I hope to see some of you too.
          > >
          > > I used to work at IBM, but it has been many years since I worked on an old
          > > minicomputer system like this one!
          > >
          > > Bill
          > >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
            B. Degnan wrote:
            > Bryan - Sounds great. see you then. 50 deg F is perfect moving weather.

            Also I think it is pretty good weather for driving a convertible... ;)

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
              ...Evan

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
                Yeah ... with the top up and the heat on!

                Actually, on Jan. 1, our club has its annual "Polar Bear" event, where
                barring precipitation, we all bundle up and drive around topless* like the
                complete idiots that we are.

                * the cars, not the drivers

                But I probably won't be there tomorrow ... gotta do some research in the
                (gasp!) old-fashioned library using a (wow!) hardcover book (they still have
                those?)

                Also I think it is pretty good weather for driving a convertible... ;)
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007

                  topless girls ???

                  oh .. sorry, reading too fast again
                  :)

                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  Yeah ... with the top up and the heat on!

                  Actually, on Jan. 1, our club has its annual "Polar Bear" event, where
                  barring precipitation, we all bundle up and drive around topless* like the
                  complete idiots that we are.

                  * the cars, not the drivers

                  But I probably won't be there tomorrow ... gotta do some research in the
                  (gasp!) old-fashioned library using a (wow!) hardcover book (they still have
                  those?)

                  Also I think it is pretty good weather for driving a convertible...  ;)

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
                    Dan Roganti wrote:

                    > topless girls ???

                    WHERE?! Bill did not say anything about that.... !! Hmm.. This is
                    going to be quite a fun day tomorrow!!

                    > oh .. sorry, reading too fast again

                    reading what too fast??

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
                      Message
                      It's quite possible there will be some women participating in our topless* event.

                      * Technically we're not going to be "topless" unless someone actually removes the top from their car, which would be a pretty stupid thing to do, vs. merely putting it down.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 29, 2007
                        --- Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

                        > Dan Roganti wrote:
                        > >

                        > > topless girls ???
                        > >
                        > WHERE?! Bill did not say anything about that.... !! Hmm.. This is
                        > going to be quite a fun day tomorrow!!
                        >
                        > > oh .. sorry, reading too fast again
                        >
                        > reading what too fast??
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Bryan
                        > > :)

                        Well, I'll try to get to Deleware tonight myself, I have some stuff to
                        do during the day today. Bill, I have your prior directions.

                        By the way...I'm trying real hard to get my wife to visit with us for
                        stuff like this. Her vintage computing experiences are not trivial; we
                        are both "vintage" in any case. But about half the time, she says "am
                        I going to be the only woman there?" And about ALL the time, I say
                        "yes" - notwithstanding some of our volunteers and members I've met.

                        You know, I don't take too seriously, some of the chat that goes back
                        and forth in this mail list. Even though Yahoo will preserve it for
                        the next fifty years for all the world to see. But you boys really
                        ought to be a *little bit* more thoughtful about some stuff that gets
                        posted here. There *may be a reason* why my wife might be the only
                        woman at this gathering.

                        Herb Johnson
                        retrotechnology.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 29, 2007

                          >You know, I don't take too seriously, some of the chat that goes back
                          >and forth in this mail list. Even though Yahoo will preserve it for
                          >the next fifty years for all the world to see. But you boys really
                          >ought to be a *little bit* more thoughtful about some stuff that gets
                          >posted here. There *may be a reason* why my wife might be the only
                          >woman at this gathering.

                          that could be one reason, but...

                          We're up against demographics even more so. In the class I taught this
                          fall, there were 16 males, one female.

                          It is worth it to have diversity however. Let's not needlessly offend
                          people who may someday read these messages, I agree.