2008 MARCH Membership Drive -- PLEASE READ

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26, 2007
      Message
      Hi all,

      In 2007 we weren't very strict about getting people to make MARCH donations.  We need to take this more seriously in 2008.

      As in past years, the "suggested" annual donation is $20.  That's $1.67 per month, so I don't want to hear ANYONE give a bullshit answer about how they can't afford to pony up for the benefits MARCH creates.  If you can't afford $1.67 per month, then I un-humbly suggest getting off this list and getting a better-paying job.  :-)

      In the past some people asked, "what's in it for me since I can still participate in MARCH for free" ... and I always replied with a bunch of reasons, some legit and some rather fluffy, about why you should make the donation.  No more.  The answer is VERY straightforward: you should make the $20 donation because IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.  But if you still need a list of reasons, here goes: We host the friggin' VCF East which is the only antique computer show of its kind between (literally) Europe to Indiana.  We keep expanding our kick-ass museum plans, which unlike most museums we be very hands-on, and also unlike most museums will have a special exhibit area to show off YOUR collections, not just ours.  We have a nice little liability insurance bill to cover our respective asses in case some outsider trips on an extension cord.  Whenever possible, we give our own people discounts and first-dibs on VCF exhibit locations.  We'll also give discounts on books (as explained in the other email I just sent) and on any future items we sell, i.e. the previously discussed idea for a cool MARCH calendar.  Starting in '08 or '09, we will have to contribute to some portion of the InfoAge utility bill.  Also, Bill's ISP hosts our web site and such, and that costs him money.  I could go on but you get the idea by now: make your annual donation not because every penny may or may not be recouped by doing so, but just since IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.  Bottom line, we have various bills to pay, which will increase as our museum and InfoAge itself gets more serious, and we need to rely on our own members to help out.  (As usual, if anyone wishes to donate MORE than the suggested amount, that is extremely welcome and will remain anonymous to the general membership.  For larger donations, we can work out something where you officially donate to the InfoAge, since they can provide a tax form, and then the money will somehow -- legally, of course -- get back to MARCH.  Also as before, I reserve the right to grant exemptions, i.e. for anyone who's not yet 18 or anyone who donates anything of value that we need to buy.)

      PayPal is best -- marchpaypay@... -- BUT -- let's wait for our treasurer Jim Scheef to confirm that.

      Thanks!!!!

      - Evan
    • Dan Roganti

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
          Thanks Dan! You're setting a good example.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
            IS this correct?

            PayPal is best -- marchpaypay@... -- BUT -- let's wait for our treasurer Jim Scheef to confirm that.

            BD
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
              Oops, now I see what you mean -- should be "marchpayPAL" not "paypay" ...
              thanks for catching the typo!!

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                All,

                If you use the button on the website (www.marchclub.org or midatlanticretro.org), you can't go wrong. I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm about joining, but if you wait a day or two, I'll set up a separate "Join Now" button to simplify things even more.

                Jim

                -- May you enjoy the holiday traditions of your religious persuasion. If you have no religious persuasion, may you not be bothered by those who do.

                Oops, now I see what you mean -- should be "marchpayPAL" not "paypay" ...
                thanks for catching the typo!!

                > IS this correct?
                >
                > PayPal is best --
                > <mailto:marchpaypay@...>marchpaypay@... -- BUT --
                > let's
                > wait for our treasurer Jim Scheef to confirm that.
                >
                > BD

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                  I just submitted mine.

                  Kelly

[...]

                  PayPal is best -- marchpaypay@... <mailto:marchpaypay@...> -- BUT -- let's wait for our treasurer Jim Scheef to confirm that.

                  Thanks!!!!

                  - Evan
                • billdeg@degnanco.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                    me too.
                    bd

                    > I just submitted mine.
                    >
                    > Kelly

                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                      Est moi.

                      On Dec 27, 2007, at 2:43 PM, billdeg@... wrote:

                      > me too.
                      > bd
                      >

                      >> I just submitted mine.
                      >>
                      >> Kelly

                    • Jeffrey Frady
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                        I'll make my first payment for my membership on Jan 1st.  Sucks growing up :-P

                        See you spare cowboy...
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                          Message
                          I'm 33 and still feel that way sometimes!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 27, 2007
                            On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                            > I'm 33 and still feel that way sometimes!

                            I'm NEVER going to grow up, and you can't make me!

                            (2008 contribution submitted).

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Andrew Molloy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 29, 2007
                              Just got mine in. Happy new year to all.

                              Andy

                              On Dec 27, 2007 2:43 PM, <billdeg@...> wrote:

                              me too.
                              bd

                            • rkushnier
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 30, 2007

                                Just sent in a donation through PayPal.  It came up:

                                Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hibbyists.

                                Is that like Hippy-ests ?  :-)

                                Ron Kushnier

                              • Andrew Molloy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 30, 2007
                                  I noticed that too. For some reason it made me think of smurfs and hobbits :)

                                  Andy

                                  On Dec 30, 2007 9:51 AM, rkushnier <rkushnier@...