OT: bored, so here are pics of my bookshelf.

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 25, 2007
      Message
      Out of sheer, utter boredom tonight, I decided to rearrange one of my three bookcases.  This is the one dedicated to books about the history of technology (approximately 120, most of which I actually did read!) ... I put every book into alphabetical order (vs. before when it was organized by category, which always confused me when I needed to find stuff quickly).

      The top two shelves are general science.  Third and fourth shelves are computers.  Fifth shelf is oversized books and some manuals.  (My other two bookcases are for completely off-topic things.)  Note: I edited out the first title words whenever books begin with "A" or "The", etc. ... also some notes about each book are in parenthesis.

      Shelf 1:

      Pic 001
      AC/DC - The Savage Tale of the World's First Standards War (very good book about edison vs. westinghouse)
      Age of Reconnaissance (haven't read it yet)
      American Telegraphy and Encyclopedia of the Telegraph (just a fun reference book)
      Ancient Inventions (fun to browse on a slow sunday)

      Pic 002
      Brief(er) History of Time (funny and educational)
      Clean Tech Revolution (very good new book about environmental tech)
      Collecting Science & Technology (interesting, not so much about computers though)
      Crypto (recommended but out-of-date)
      Does Technology Drive History? (haven't read it yet)
      Edison - A Life of Invention (bio)

      Pic 003
      Electrifying America (haven't read it yet, sounds good though)
      Elegant Universe (haven't read it yet)
      Greatest Inventions of the Past 2,000 Years (fun to browse on a slow sunday)
      History of Mechanical Inventions (haven't read it yet)
      Innovator's Dilemma (a business book)
      Meaning in Technology (oops -- out of order!) (haven't read it yet)
      Longitude (very good book about the race to build longitude device)
      Maps & Civilization (haven't read it yet)

      Pics 004/5
      Map That Changed the World (very good book about geology)
      Marconi's Magic Box (haven't read it yet)
      Measuring America (interesting)
      Nothing Like It in the World (very good book about the transcontinental railroad)
      One Good Turn (very good book about the history of the screwdriver and nut/bolt -- seriously!)
      Pencil (interesting but the actual writing is terrible so i couldn't deal with it)
      Power to the People (another modern book about about tech and the environment)
      Quirky Qwerty (fun, short, simple history of keyboards)

      Shelf 2:

      Pic 006
      Radioactive Boy Scout (a good airplane book, supposedly a true story)
      Readings in Cyberethics (deep topics!)
      Riddle of the Compass (very good history of the compass)
      Science of Measurement (haven't read it yet)
      Science in Nineteenth Century America (fun, simple)

      Pic 007
      Science of Star Wars (you know you wanna read this one)
      Scientific Instruments (fun to browse)
      Scientific Renaissance, 1450-1630 (very good straightforward history book)
      Scripts, Grooves, and Writing Machines (not as good as i hoped it'd be)
      Social History of Technology (very good)
      Steam (haven't read it yet)
      Structures of Scientific Revolutions (a must-read)

      Pic 008
      "Technology & Culture" (random issues)
      Thread Across the Ocean (very good history of telegraphy)
      Time Lord (good history of standard timekeeping)
      Turk (good history of automaton mchines)
      Victorian Internet (i love this book, history of the telegraph vs. issue of the internet)
      Visions of Technology (a bunch of essays about the future)

      Pics009/10
      We Were Burning (good history of japanese electronics industry)
      What Einstein Didn't Know (plain old fun)
      What Einstein Told His Barber (plain old fun, part 2)
      When Information Came of Age (excellent book about the analog information age)
      When Old Technologies Were New (a good read...)
      Why People Believe Weird Things (yet i'm still baffled!)
      Why Things Bite Back (good book on "revenge effects")
      Wilbur and Orville (bio)
      Wireless (all about marconi)
      Writing Implements and Accessories (so-so)

      Shelf 3:

      Pic 011
      Age of Spiritual Machines (i'm not a fan of kurzweil)
      Alan Sugar (bio)
      Artifacts (great book about silicon valley by my friend christine finn)
      Bill & Dave (bio)
      Bootstrapping (bio of doug engelbart)
      Brief History of the Future (so-so)
      Calculating the Weather (good book about weather and early computing)
      Cogwheel Brain (good book about babbage)
      Chip (oops -- out of order!) (good book about noyce and kilby)

      Pic 012
      Computer Bowl Trivia Book (plain old fun)
      Computers, computers, computers (sci-fi)
      Computers Limited (what CAN'T computers do?)
      Dealers of Lighning (good book about xerox parc)
      ENIAC (great history)
      Fred Terman at Stanford (recommended)
      German Enigna Cipher Machine (haven't read it yet)

      Pic 013
      Giant Brains (the classic!)
      Guide to HP Handheld Calculators and Computers (reference)
      Hackers (levy's must-read classic)
      History of Online Information Services (kinda boring)
      HP Way (if you love hp...)
      Humane Interface (thank you, jef raskin!)
      In the Beggining Was the Command Line (so-so)
      Information Appliances (eh...)
      iWoz (speaks for itself)

      Pic 014
      Jacquard's Web (i liked it but others didn't)
      Just For Fun (by Linus Torvalds)
      Leonardo's Laptop (good)
      Log-Log Duplex Slide Rule (oops, just a how-to book)
      Making Silicon Valley (haven't read it yet)

      Shelf 4:

      Pic 015
      Nevermind the Laptops (computers and education)
      New Hackers Dictionary (reference)
      Nudist on the Late Shift (good book about dot-com era)
      On the Edge (i don't like it, the writing is poor)
      Operations Research in R&D (analog computing)
      Passion for Technology (five issues)
      Perfect Thing (levy's new book about the ipod)

      Pic 016
      Personal Computers and Pocket Calculators (reference)
      Piloting Palm (so-so)
      Pocket Calculators (reference)
      Priming the Pump (bill degnan likes it ... i'm not so high on it)
      RCL 20 (grand meaning of hp calculators?)
      Social Life of Information (good!)
      Turing and the Universal Machine (the fundamentals)
      Unfinished Revolution (great book by MIT dude)
      Universal History of Computing (good history)

      Pic 017
      Users Guide to Small Computers (good books from the 70s or 80s, i forget)
      Valley of Heart's Delight (silicon valley before the techs arrived)
      Vintage Laptop Computers (terrible!)
      Weaving the Web (great book by berners-lee)
      Word Processing Book (good for its time)
      (Apple 1 book starts the not-so-big section on manuals, etc.)

      Shelf 5: (not yet put into order)

      Pics 18/19
      Scientific Instruments (i gotta return this to the guy i borrowed it from years ago)
      Supercade (fun!)
      Antique Office Machines (good reference)
      Legend of Litton Industries (so-so)
      Mathematics of the Inca (learn all about the quipu)
      Essential Retro (nice pictures inside)
      Wizards and Their Wonders (coffee table book)
      Phoenix - Fall and Rise of Videogames (good history, by my friend lenny herman)
      Universe Unveiled (nice history of telescopes and stuff)
      Retro Electro (nice pictures inside)

      Pic 20
      (random issue of PC Mag)
      Digital Retro (more nice pictures inside)
      Videogames - In the Beginning (ralph baer's autobio)
      (Christie's auction catalog of computer history stuff from a few years ago)
      Hal's Legacy (star trek changed the world)
      Defying Gravity (inside look at the development of the newton ... man they were full of themselves)

      Pic 021 -- the whole bookcase -- hey there's some empty space on the bottom shelf!
    • billdeg@degnanco.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 26, 2007
        Nice collection of books. No wonder you know everything
        Bill

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 26, 2007
          No, that's just because I am a genius. SOMEONE around here has to know
          everything. ;)

          Eventually I will bring a bunch of these to the museum, either to loan or
          donate...

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 26, 2007
            Here are some of my magazines and books, things that are in general not
            dedicated to a single system (manuals and user guides, etc. are in the
            other room):

            http://vintagecomputer.net/library/

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 26, 2007
              Evan and Bill,

              I started this list after our first VCF East to have a list of what I have and what I'm looking for when I travel about. The idea is to avoid buying duplicates. Since we are sharing, here is my list of computer history books. This does not include my historical books on trains, skiing history or books on skiing instruction (oldest is from the 50's). It also does not include a complete set of BYTE magazines or the early computer magazines I have on fiche (these will be donated to the MARCH library at InfoAge when such a place exists). Also not included are "user" books about what I consider vintage software.

              The list is in that "universal database" format so you can sort it as you please. I've been meaning to put it on the web with links to the reviews I've written.

              BTW, I set up my DACS.doc columns from the last year in a blog at http://circuitwriter.spaces.live.com/blog/. Comments are welcome. I've mentioned MARCH several times over the last three years. Hopefully DACS (www.dacs.org) will set up a blog site soon and I'll be able  to move this content there and be able to put up the other years as well.

              Jim

              -- May you enjoy the holiday traditions of your religious persuasion. If you have no religious persuasion, may you not be bothered by those who do.

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 26, 2007
                At 03:56 PM 12/26/2007 -0800, you wrote:
[...]

                Another nice collection of books.  I have not had the time yet to make a list of mine, but when I do I will use the same format so that we can combine them.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 26, 2007
                  Bill,

                  Good golly, a common format might bring synergism. Is that allowed? ;-^)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 27, 2007
                    Bill,

                    I didn't know you had so many old BYTE mag's
                    I like to come over in the future and read some of them again.
                    I use to have every issue back then and miss them alot.

                    =Dan

                    billdeg@... wrote:
                    Here are some of my magazines and books, things that are in general not
                    dedicated to a single system (manuals and user guides, etc. are in the
                    other room):

                    http://vintagecomputer.net/library/

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 27, 2007
                      Jim,

                      I started to put my list in a text file.
                      But he excel format looks the best--and practical
                      I can move my little book list over to that too.

                      =Dan

                      Jim Scheef wrote:
[...]

                      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.9/1198 - Release Date: 12/26/2007 5:26 PM