Re: [midatlanticretro] Computer programmers

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
      On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

      > I've heard this before. I don't know if I completely buy it, because I
      > suspect that it depends on the musicians involved.
      >
      > Still, I think part of its truth has to do with that creating music and
      > creating code are actually not all that dissimilar.

      I've heard the same story. If you take a look at jazz musicians,
      particularly those who can improvise, you have a similar process.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
        I think it makes perfect sense. Music is a coded language.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007
          Awsome music Bill. I really am enjoying it.

          Greg
          I have not updated the page for a while, but it'd give you an idea of my
          musical directions/influenc es.

          bd

          > Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians... I thought
          > you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
          > reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
          > computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
          > discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and
          > most productive programmers they had.
          >
          > Interesting, eh?
          >
          > 73 de Ray
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007
            billdeg@... wrote:
            > Here's some of my stuff:
            >
            > www.spacevipers.com
            >
            > I have not updated the page for a while, but it'd give you an idea of my
            > musical directions/influences.

            The Space Vipers theme music reminds me of "The Adventures of Buckaroo
            Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" :)

            Cheers,

            Bryan
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007

              that's some cool stuff,  Bill
              We used to jam in the late 70's, early 80's
              I grew up playing a Hammond B-3 organ and moved on to synthesizers.
              I had an ARP Oydessy synth, Roland SH-5 synth and a Korg CX-3 organ.
              And the usual effects, DeltaLab Effectron, Echoplex, among other things.
              I wish I still had that stuff - gave it up for a career--uugghh
              My buddy on guitar had the Roland Guitar Synth.
              We played jazz, rock, electronic music - ala  Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk
              I have a couple of old recordings converted to mp3 that we did on a Teac 4-trak from our band, Acidamage.
              http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/music/acidamage/

              =Dan

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007
                Dan Roganti wrote:

                > that's some cool stuff, Bill
                > We used to jam in the late 70's, early 80's
                > I grew up playing a Hammond B-3 organ and moved on to synthesizers.
                > I had an ARP Oydessy synth, Roland SH-5 synth and a Korg CX-3 organ.
                > And the usual effects, DeltaLab Effectron, Echoplex, among other things.
                > I wish I still had that stuff - gave it up for a career--uugghh
                > My buddy on guitar had the Roland Guitar Synth.
                > We played jazz, rock, electronic music - ala Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk
                > I have a couple of old recordings converted to mp3 that we did on a
                > Teac 4-trak from our band, Acidamage.
                > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/music/acidamage/

                Dan,

                Thank-you for sharing your music! :D I love synthy music...

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • relayer
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2007
                  That doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

                  I'm a programmer, and I have a piano keyboard and guitar that I've
                  been trying to learn for years but I can't seem to grasp the concept.