Computer programmers

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
      Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians... I thought
      you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
      reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
      computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
      discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and
      most productive programmers they had.

      Interesting, eh?

      73 de Ray
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
        Ray Sills wrote:
        > Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians... I thought
        > you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
        > reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
        > computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
        > discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and
        > most productive programmers they had.
        >
        > Interesting, eh?

        Well, my favourite type of music is computer music.. does that count? :P

        Cheers,

        Bryan
      • billdeg@degnanco.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
          Here's some of my stuff:

          www.spacevipers.com

          I have not updated the page for a while, but it'd give you an idea of my
          musical directions/influences.

          bd

          > Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians... I thought
          > you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
          > reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
          > computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
          > discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and
          > most productive programmers they had.
          >
          > Interesting, eh?
          >
          > 73 de Ray
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
            Ray Sills wrote:
            > Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians... I thought
            > you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
            > reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
            > computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
            > discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and
            > most productive programmers they had.
            >
            > Interesting, eh?

            I've heard this before. I don't know if I completely buy it, because I
            suspect that it depends on the musicians involved.

            Still, I think part of its truth has to do with that creating music and
            creating code are actually not all that dissimilar.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
              On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

              > I've heard this before. I don't know if I completely buy it, because I
              > suspect that it depends on the musicians involved.
              >
              > Still, I think part of its truth has to do with that creating music and
              > creating code are actually not all that dissimilar.

              I've heard the same story. If you take a look at jazz musicians,
              particularly those who can improvise, you have a similar process.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2007
                I think it makes perfect sense. Music is a coded language.

                Jim

                > Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians...  I thought

                > you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
                > reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
                > computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
                > discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and

                > most productive programmers they had.
                >
                > Interesting, eh?

                I've heard this before.  I don't know if I completely buy it, because I
                suspect that it depends on the musicians involved.

                Still, I think part of its truth has to do with that creating music and
                creating code are actually not all that dissimilar.

                Peace...  Sridhar

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Greg N Shari (GMail)
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007
                  Awsome music Bill. I really am enjoying it.

                  Greg
                  I have not updated the page for a while, but it'd give you an idea of my
                  musical directions/influenc es.

                  bd

                  > Since a good number of the group happen to be musicians... I thought
                  > you might be interested to hear that once upon a time I recall
                  > reading an item that way back when IBM was first venturing into the
                  > computer business, and looking for programmers to hire, they
                  > discovered that -as a group- musicians tended to become the best and
                  > most productive programmers they had.
                  >
                  > Interesting, eh?
                  >
                  > 73 de Ray
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007
                    billdeg@... wrote:
                    > Here's some of my stuff:
                    >
                    > www.spacevipers.com
                    >
                    > I have not updated the page for a while, but it'd give you an idea of my
                    > musical directions/influences.

                    The Space Vipers theme music reminds me of "The Adventures of Buckaroo
                    Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" :)

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007

                      that's some cool stuff,  Bill
                      We used to jam in the late 70's, early 80's
                      I grew up playing a Hammond B-3 organ and moved on to synthesizers.
                      I had an ARP Oydessy synth, Roland SH-5 synth and a Korg CX-3 organ.
                      And the usual effects, DeltaLab Effectron, Echoplex, among other things.
                      I wish I still had that stuff - gave it up for a career--uugghh
                      My buddy on guitar had the Roland Guitar Synth.
                      We played jazz, rock, electronic music - ala  Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk
                      I have a couple of old recordings converted to mp3 that we did on a Teac 4-trak from our band, Acidamage.
                      http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/music/acidamage/

                      =Dan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2007
                        Dan Roganti wrote:

                        > that's some cool stuff, Bill
                        > We used to jam in the late 70's, early 80's
                        > I grew up playing a Hammond B-3 organ and moved on to synthesizers.
                        > I had an ARP Oydessy synth, Roland SH-5 synth and a Korg CX-3 organ.
                        > And the usual effects, DeltaLab Effectron, Echoplex, among other things.
                        > I wish I still had that stuff - gave it up for a career--uugghh
                        > My buddy on guitar had the Roland Guitar Synth.
                        > We played jazz, rock, electronic music - ala Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk
                        > I have a couple of old recordings converted to mp3 that we did on a
                        > Teac 4-trak from our band, Acidamage.
                        > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/music/acidamage/

                        Dan,

                        Thank-you for sharing your music! :D I love synthy music...

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan
                      • relayer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 14, 2007
                          That doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

                          I'm a programmer, and I have a piano keyboard and guitar that I've
                          been trying to learn for years but I can't seem to grasp the concept.