Re: [midatlanticretro] was Kim-1 info now GEOS..now GUI

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
      Hi,

      I recall the Apple Lisa being the first home computer system with a GUI,
      the precursor to the Macintosh. This is one machine I'm still looking
      out for to add to my collection.

      Dan

      billdeg@... wrote:

      > [snip]
      >
      > The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at
      > IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the
      > TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a
      > GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple
      > GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?
      >
      > Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that
      > much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive
      > until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job
      > (programming/server support)
      >
      > bill
      > vintagecomputer.net
    • evan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
        It's easy to find Lisa II (and later) systems, but the original Lisa is
        extremely rare. Recently one sold on eBay for roughly 10K.

        --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I recall the Apple Lisa being the first home computer system with a GUI,
        > the precursor to the Macintosh. This is one machine I'm still looking
        > out for to add to my collection.
        >
        > Dan
        >
        > billdeg@... wrote:
        >
        > > [snip]
        > >
        > > The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at
        > > IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the
        > > TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a
        > > GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple
        > > GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?
        > >
        > > Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that
        > > much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive
        > > until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job
        > > (programming/server support)
        > >
        > > bill
        > > vintagecomputer.net

        =====
        Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

        *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
        - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
        - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
        - 684 readers and counting!
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
          Well, that'll bust my budget 100 times over, -ouch-

          Dan

        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
            Dan
            Thanks.
            Here is a good web site for GEOS history
            http://www.commodore.ca/history/company/turks_geos.htm
            Basically is was many years newer.