Re: OT: you'll all be so proud

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      wrote:

      > I've been saving my nickels and dimes to buy a proprietary engine
      management
      > computer for my Miata next spring. The one I want costs around
      $2,000,
      > which sucks. Today I learned about a new competitor to that --
      it's open
      > source! I can get the necessary D-I-Y parts for around $350, or
      buy one
      > assembled and tested and customized for around $750. Sweet!
      (Better yet,
      > the proprietary model has to be disconnected and replaced with the
      crappy
      > stock computer to pass inspection every two years, whereas the open-
      source
      > version has an ODBII feature.)
      >
      > I figured you guys would be proud of me for going with the open-
      source,
      > community project route, instead of the Buy-From-The-Man route. :)

      Glad you're going open source (please post a pointer to the system,
      if you would) but suggest you skip the DIY option, given your
      experience with the Replica1.

      Hope it includes your equipment includes a radar detector.

      best,
      Jack
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
        No fair ... my Rep 1 did work ... all I managed to fry was the LCD. :)

        I do plan to skip the DIY option because of time, but I'm certainly
        competent enough to solder a board of parts.

        System I'm looking at it called the MegaSquirt (yeah I know ...
        "megasquirt")... www.megasquirt.info.

        >>> Glad you're going open source (please post a pointer to the system, if
        you would) but suggest you skip the DIY option, given your experience with
        the Replica1. Hope it includes your equipment includes a radar detector.
      • Greg N Shari (GMail)
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
          Went to check it out but www,megasquirt.info does not work for me at all. It says it doesn't exist or is not available.

          Greg

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
            Message
            That's because you have a comma, not a period, after www

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
              Tried this too, www.megasquirt. info, still no joy. BTW, That was just a typo in the email. LOL

              Greg

              That's because you have a comma, not a period, after www
              Went to check it out but www,megasquirt. info does not work for me at all. It says it doesn't exist or is not available.

              Greg

              No fair ... my Rep 1 did work ... all I managed to fry was the LCD. :)

              I do plan to skip the DIY option because of time, but I'm certainly
              competent enough to solder a board of parts.

              System I'm looking at it called the MegaSquirt (yeah I know ...
              "megasquirt" )... www.megasquirt. info.

              >>> Glad you're going open source (please post a pointer to the system, if
              you would) but suggest you skip the DIY option, given your experience with
              the Replica1. Hope it includes your equipment includes a radar detector.

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                I opened it just now by clicking the link in your reply. Works fine and it certainly wasn't cached in my Treo. Must be something on your side.

                Subj: RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: you'll all be so proud
                Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 1:19 am
                Size: 5K
                To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                  I got it now. Damn Windows XP... hadn't rebooted in a few days so it needed a kick in the arse. LOL Works fine now.

                  Ths Evan,
                  Greg (Duh!!)

                  Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 1:19 am
                  Size: 5K