OT: you'll all be so proud

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
      Message
      I've been saving my nickels and dimes to buy a proprietary engine management computer for my Miata next spring.  The one I want costs around $2,000, which sucks.  Today I learned about a new competitor to that -- it's open source!  I can get the necessary D-I-Y parts for around $350, or buy one assembled and tested and customized for around $750.  Sweet!  (Better yet, the proprietary model has to be disconnected and replaced with the crappy stock computer to pass inspection every two years, whereas the open-source version has an ODBII feature.)

      I figured you guys would be proud of me for going with the open-source, community project route, instead of the Buy-From-The-Man route.  :)

      - Evan

      PS - In other news: didn't go to the museum today, because of the weather, but that gave me time to open my PC and give it a thorough cleaning.  It runs MUCH more quite now.  The area around the two fans was especially filthy.  Before it sounded like trash compactor.  Now it's a soft buzz.)
    • jack99rubin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
        wrote:

        > I've been saving my nickels and dimes to buy a proprietary engine
        management
        > computer for my Miata next spring. The one I want costs around
        $2,000,
        > which sucks. Today I learned about a new competitor to that --
        it's open
        > source! I can get the necessary D-I-Y parts for around $350, or
        buy one
        > assembled and tested and customized for around $750. Sweet!
        (Better yet,
        > the proprietary model has to be disconnected and replaced with the
        crappy
        > stock computer to pass inspection every two years, whereas the open-
        source
        > version has an ODBII feature.)
        >
        > I figured you guys would be proud of me for going with the open-
        source,
        > community project route, instead of the Buy-From-The-Man route. :)

        Glad you're going open source (please post a pointer to the system,
        if you would) but suggest you skip the DIY option, given your
        experience with the Replica1.

        Hope it includes your equipment includes a radar detector.

        best,
        Jack
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
          No fair ... my Rep 1 did work ... all I managed to fry was the LCD. :)

          I do plan to skip the DIY option because of time, but I'm certainly
          competent enough to solder a board of parts.

          System I'm looking at it called the MegaSquirt (yeah I know ...
          "megasquirt")... www.megasquirt.info.

          >>> Glad you're going open source (please post a pointer to the system, if
          you would) but suggest you skip the DIY option, given your experience with
          the Replica1. Hope it includes your equipment includes a radar detector.
        • Greg N Shari (GMail)
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
            Went to check it out but www,megasquirt.info does not work for me at all. It says it doesn't exist or is not available.

            Greg

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
              Message
              That's because you have a comma, not a period, after www

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                Tried this too, www.megasquirt. info, still no joy. BTW, That was just a typo in the email. LOL

                Greg

                That's because you have a comma, not a period, after www
                Went to check it out but www,megasquirt. info does not work for me at all. It says it doesn't exist or is not available.

                Greg

                No fair ... my Rep 1 did work ... all I managed to fry was the LCD. :)

                I do plan to skip the DIY option because of time, but I'm certainly
                competent enough to solder a board of parts.

                System I'm looking at it called the MegaSquirt (yeah I know ...
                "megasquirt" )... www.megasquirt. info.

                >>> Glad you're going open source (please post a pointer to the system, if
                you would) but suggest you skip the DIY option, given your experience with
                the Replica1. Hope it includes your equipment includes a radar detector.

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                  I opened it just now by clicking the link in your reply. Works fine and it certainly wasn't cached in my Treo. Must be something on your side.

                  Subj: RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: you'll all be so proud
                  Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 1:19 am
                  Size: 5K
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                    I got it now. Damn Windows XP... hadn't rebooted in a few days so it needed a kick in the arse. LOL Works fine now.

                    Ths Evan,
                    Greg (Duh!!)

                    Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 1:19 am
                    Size: 5K