Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Spare components

  • Mike Hatch
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
      > I think it's a problem worth discussing (if anyone is interested) in
      > MARCH. After all, we get donations from people who are also looking to
      > get rid of stuff, only it's whole computers and not (generally) parts.
      >
      > I think the fundamental problems of an online exchange include the
      > same problems organizations like MARCH have. Namely, cataloging what
      > you have; making it available; working out shipping. All these are
      > costs of time or space or transport. It's tougher for small parts,
      > particularly onesies. If Mike can solve these problems, or help people
      > solve them in order to list and provide parts, I'd certainly like to
      > see his solution! I wish him well. I sent him a bit more discussion as
      > he suggested.

      Its possible this would be better served by a listing in Freecycle. My
      problem with that is that Freecycle model seems to be a fast turnover
      system with "I have this" or "I want that". In the vintage computer /
      component area I though this challenge response system might be too
      restrictive (possibly).

      Although some work to set up initially in cataloging, I thought a central
      repository of parts where you could search for bits when you need them and
      then email the owner directly might work better. (For the paranoid the
      emails are encoded off site and do not appear in the page code).

      Those individual "Fred" & "Mike" pages could be set up for Fred to upload
      his own data as a text file used to generate the "Fred" page with a bit of
      coding, that way each member of the system could change it as and when
      they had time.

      Shipping would only occour if somebody wanted some of your parts and it's
      then up to the two parties to agree at that time pretty much as you seem
      do do now. The PITA is for each to catalog what they have or want to be
      available, sorry I can't do that for you, but I can host the pages and
      provide the means for each to list what they have to help others - parts,
      systems, bits Etc..

      Best regards,
      Mike Hatch
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
        We already have the "MARCH Virtual Swap Meet" table in our Yahoo Groups
        database. I can't help it if nobody uses it.

        Well, that's not entirely true ... I (still!) need to update the monthly
        group FAQ, and I should mention the database there for new members to know
        about it...

        By the way, ignore the "what have we got" table for now; it too is horribly
        obsolete and un-updated.

        > I think it's a problem worth discussing (if anyone is interested) in
        > MARCH. After all, we get donations from people who are also looking to
        > get rid of stuff, only it's whole computers and not (generally) parts.
        >
        > I think the fundamental problems of an online exchange include the
        > same problems organizations like MARCH have. Namely, cataloging what
        > you have; making it available; working out shipping. All these are
        > costs of time or space or transport. It's tougher for small parts,
        > particularly onesies. If Mike can solve these problems, or help people
        > solve them in order to list and provide parts, I'd certainly like to
        > see his solution! I wish him well. I sent him a bit more discussion as
        > he suggested.

        Its possible this would be better served by a listing in Freecycle. My
        problem with that is that Freecycle model seems to be a fast turnover system
        with "I have this" or "I want that". In the vintage computer / component
        area I though this challenge response system might be too restrictive
        (possibly).

        Although some work to set up initially in cataloging, I thought a central
        repository of parts where you could search for bits when you need them and
        then email the owner directly might work better. (For the paranoid the
        emails are encoded off site and do not appear in the page code).

        Those individual "Fred" & "Mike" pages could be set up for Fred to upload
        his own data as a text file used to generate the "Fred" page with a bit of
        coding, that way each member of the system could change it as and when they
        had time.

        Shipping would only occour if somebody wanted some of your parts and it's
        then up to the two parties to agree at that time pretty much as you seem do
        do now. The PITA is for each to catalog what they have or want to be
        available, sorry I can't do that for you, but I can host the pages and
        provide the means for each to list what they have to help others - parts,
        systems, bits Etc..

        Best regards,
        Mike Hatch
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
          > We already have the "MARCH Virtual Swap Meet" table in our Yahoo Groups
          > database. I can't help it if nobody uses it.

          It seems like we are overengineering the hell out of this.

          What is wrong with just doing this old-school? If you have something
          you do not need, post a message. If you need something you do not
          have, post a message. Things work out n the end.

          --
          Will
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
            William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote :

            > > We already have the "MARCH Virtual Swap Meet" table in our Yahoo Groups
            > > database. I can't help it if nobody uses it.
            >
            > It seems like we are overengineering the hell out of this.
            >
            > What is wrong with just doing this old-school? If you have something
            > you do not need, post a message. If you need something you do not
            > have, post a message. Things work out n the end.

            I agree. My collection of thousands of components isn't worth cataloging and
            putting prices on. Besides, someone will eventually say "you're asking 25 cents
            for this part but I can but it at XXX for 24 cents."

            However, if someone posts a note like "I need a XXXXX, does anyone have one?"
            I can usually find it in my collection. I've also had cases where someone said
            what they were looking for, and myself and others were able to suggest more
            suitable alternatives. This couldn't have happened if the person simply looked
            for the exact part on a website.

            Just post what you want and hopefully someone can provide it.

            Bob

            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net