Re: [midatlanticretro] Some nice info about Grabbe

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007

      It would be great if you could get him to be a speaker for VCFe 5th

      =Dan

      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      Message
      Today I found a short bio of Dimitry Grabbe.  For anyone who's new here or just does not know, Dimitry donated a vast collection of chips and computers to InfoAge -- almost all being vintage -- this was about three or four years ago before MARCH existed.  When we got going in early '05 and got involved at InfoAge, the Grabbe collection became the majority of the MARCH collection.  Today his donation is just a fraction of our overall collection, because we've brought in huge amounts of our own systems and donations.  Anyway, here is the bio I found:

      "Grabbe played an integral part in advancing U.S. space exploration. His pioneering work has produced nearly 500 U.S. and foreign patents covering machine design, semiconductor packaging, electronics assembly, and optoelectronic connector design. His work in printed circuit board technology for electronic packaging led to the development of large, multi-layer printed circuit boards. This proved crucial in helping U.S. astronauts gain greater real-time control of their space-exploration activities.

      In 1964, Mr. Grabbe founded the Maine Research Corporation which specialized in high-end printed circuit boards; the company was dissolved in 1972. He joined AMP, Inc. in 1973, and helped it become a world leader in electrical/electronic connector technology, test socket technology and miniature semiconductor packages. Today, Mr. Grabbe is assisting Dr. Pryputniewicz, professor of mechanical engineering and founding director of the center for holographic studies and laser micro-mechaTronics (CHSLT) at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Worcester , Mass. with research on gyroscopes and accelorometers.

      An IEEE Life Fellow, Mr. Grabbe has also been recognized by AMP (now part of Tyco Electronics) with a Lifetime Achievement Award, and by the American Society of Mechnical Engineers, which chose him for its Leonardo da Vinci Award."

      Also found this about him: http://ap.pennnet.com/display_article/295439/36/ARCHI/none/none/1/IEEE-Awards-Packaging-Professionals/.

      - Evan

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.10/1160 - Release Date: 11/29/2007 8:32 PM