Spare components

  • Mike Hatch
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2007
      I'd recently come across a few Ic's that I have spare and rather than
      chuck them would prefer to pass them on. Next idea was what about a
      central point for members/people to look and see who has what. So I
      came up with this -> www.soemtron.org/partsavailable/index.html <- its
      an idea, would it be usefull ?, if not I'll kill it. There are
      possibly better ways. Comments please, I'd be happy to run it, but am
      also ready to be shot down in flames if it already exists.

      The emails on those pages are live, so reach me via those and that
      will keep non essential traffic off this list.

      Many thanks, Mike
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2007
        "Mike Hatch" <mike@...> wrote:

        > I'd recently come across a few Ic's that I have spare and rather than
        > chuck them would prefer to pass them on. Next idea was what about a
        > central point for members/people to look and see who has what. So I
        > came up with this -> www.soemtron.org/partsavailable/index.html <- its
        > an idea, would it be usefull ?, if not I'll kill it. There are
        > possibly better ways. Comments please, I'd be happy to run it, but am
        > also ready to be shot down in flames if it already exists.
        >
        > The emails on those pages are live, so reach me via those and that
        > will keep non essential traffic off this list.
        >
        > Many thanks, Mike

        I think it's a problem worth discussing (if anyone is interested) in
        MARCH. After all, we get donations from people who are also looking to
        get rid of stuff, only it's whole computers and not (generally) parts.

        I think the fundamental problems of an online exchange include the
        same problems organizations like MARCH have. Namely, cataloging what
        you have; making it available; working out shipping. All these are
        costs of time or space or transport. It's tougher for small parts,
        particularly onesies. If Mike can solve these problems, or help people
        solve them in order to list and provide parts, I'd certainly like to
        see his solution! I wish him well. I sent him a bit more discussion as
        he suggested.

        Current services which do this? eBay, craig's list, hamfests. Hamfests
        in 2007 are now mostly reduced to parts and ham radio stuff - back to
        how it was thirty-plus years ago. Funny.

        Herb Johnson
        dit dah dit dit

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2007
          P.S. I may have a few boxes of hard drives for scrap. read on if
          interested.

          These are old IDE and SCSI drives, all 3.5-inch from various PC's and
          Macs. All DEAD DEAD DEAD. But full of aluminum and those shiny brown
          metal disks that artists sometimes ask me for, for free - like they
          fall out of these drives without effort. But even the scrap dealer
          doesn't want to tear them up for the metal. He has them now. Anyone
          interested in a hundred or more drives, available near Trenton NJ?
          Possibly more later, if they can really make regular use of them?

          But read this:

          1) NOT FOR FREE - it will take time and effort to provide these.
          2) ALL OR NOTHING - can't pick and choose
          3) MUST have immediate need - no hoarders or "rescuers".
          4) NO SHIPPING - not worth it at about $1/drive just for shipping.

          Herb Johnson

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
            > I think it's a problem worth discussing (if anyone is interested) in
            > MARCH. After all, we get donations from people who are also looking to
            > get rid of stuff, only it's whole computers and not (generally) parts.
            >
            > I think the fundamental problems of an online exchange include the
            > same problems organizations like MARCH have. Namely, cataloging what
            > you have; making it available; working out shipping. All these are
            > costs of time or space or transport. It's tougher for small parts,
            > particularly onesies. If Mike can solve these problems, or help people
            > solve them in order to list and provide parts, I'd certainly like to
            > see his solution! I wish him well. I sent him a bit more discussion as
            > he suggested.

            Its possible this would be better served by a listing in Freecycle. My
            problem with that is that Freecycle model seems to be a fast turnover
            system with "I have this" or "I want that". In the vintage computer /
            component area I though this challenge response system might be too
            restrictive (possibly).

            Although some work to set up initially in cataloging, I thought a central
            repository of parts where you could search for bits when you need them and
            then email the owner directly might work better. (For the paranoid the
            emails are encoded off site and do not appear in the page code).

            Those individual "Fred" & "Mike" pages could be set up for Fred to upload
            his own data as a text file used to generate the "Fred" page with a bit of
            coding, that way each member of the system could change it as and when
            they had time.

            Shipping would only occour if somebody wanted some of your parts and it's
            then up to the two parties to agree at that time pretty much as you seem
            do do now. The PITA is for each to catalog what they have or want to be
            available, sorry I can't do that for you, but I can host the pages and
            provide the means for each to list what they have to help others - parts,
            systems, bits Etc..

            Best regards,
            Mike Hatch
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
              We already have the "MARCH Virtual Swap Meet" table in our Yahoo Groups
              database. I can't help it if nobody uses it.

              Well, that's not entirely true ... I (still!) need to update the monthly
              group FAQ, and I should mention the database there for new members to know
              about it...

              By the way, ignore the "what have we got" table for now; it too is horribly
              obsolete and un-updated.

              > I think it's a problem worth discussing (if anyone is interested) in
              > MARCH. After all, we get donations from people who are also looking to
              > get rid of stuff, only it's whole computers and not (generally) parts.
              >
              > I think the fundamental problems of an online exchange include the
              > same problems organizations like MARCH have. Namely, cataloging what
              > you have; making it available; working out shipping. All these are
              > costs of time or space or transport. It's tougher for small parts,
              > particularly onesies. If Mike can solve these problems, or help people
              > solve them in order to list and provide parts, I'd certainly like to
              > see his solution! I wish him well. I sent him a bit more discussion as
              > he suggested.

              Its possible this would be better served by a listing in Freecycle. My
              problem with that is that Freecycle model seems to be a fast turnover system
              with "I have this" or "I want that". In the vintage computer / component
              area I though this challenge response system might be too restrictive
              (possibly).

              Although some work to set up initially in cataloging, I thought a central
              repository of parts where you could search for bits when you need them and
              then email the owner directly might work better. (For the paranoid the
              emails are encoded off site and do not appear in the page code).

              Those individual "Fred" & "Mike" pages could be set up for Fred to upload
              his own data as a text file used to generate the "Fred" page with a bit of
              coding, that way each member of the system could change it as and when they
              had time.

              Shipping would only occour if somebody wanted some of your parts and it's
              then up to the two parties to agree at that time pretty much as you seem do
              do now. The PITA is for each to catalog what they have or want to be
              available, sorry I can't do that for you, but I can host the pages and
              provide the means for each to list what they have to help others - parts,
              systems, bits Etc..

              Best regards,
              Mike Hatch
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
                > We already have the "MARCH Virtual Swap Meet" table in our Yahoo Groups
                > database. I can't help it if nobody uses it.

                It seems like we are overengineering the hell out of this.

                What is wrong with just doing this old-school? If you have something
                you do not need, post a message. If you need something you do not
                have, post a message. Things work out n the end.

                --
                Will
              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
                  William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote :

                  > > We already have the "MARCH Virtual Swap Meet" table in our Yahoo Groups
                  > > database. I can't help it if nobody uses it.
                  >
                  > It seems like we are overengineering the hell out of this.
                  >
                  > What is wrong with just doing this old-school? If you have something
                  > you do not need, post a message. If you need something you do not
                  > have, post a message. Things work out n the end.

                  I agree. My collection of thousands of components isn't worth cataloging and
                  putting prices on. Besides, someone will eventually say "you're asking 25 cents
                  for this part but I can but it at XXX for 24 cents."

                  However, if someone posts a note like "I need a XXXXX, does anyone have one?"
                  I can usually find it in my collection. I've also had cases where someone said
                  what they were looking for, and myself and others were able to suggest more
                  suitable alternatives. This couldn't have happened if the person simply looked
                  for the exact part on a website.

                  Just post what you want and hopefully someone can provide it.

                  Bob

                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net