Re: FYI: 8bit music festival - Blip Festival 2007 - Manhattan Nov 29 - Dec 2, 2

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
      I may check this out, sounds interesting. But it's not terribly
      "retro" by *my* standards:

      "....familiar but forgotten hardware - such as the Commodore 64, the
      Nintendo Entertainment System, the Atari game console and home
      computer line, and the Nintendo Game Boy..."

      Game Boy titles and games still trade around at Game Stop. And if the
      C-64 is "forgotten", they've absolutely IGNORED the Cromemco D+7A
      analog I/O card and Dazzler video card on the S-100 bus. Not to
      mention using memory read loops to generate RF tones on an AM radio,
      which goes back to mainframe days but was also done on IMSAIs and
      Altairs.

      "chiptune musical aesthetic and related low-bit visual art"

      This event seems to be mostly performance art, trailing-edge bands,
      and "repurposed" computers as musical instruments. Kinda tribal-retro,
      not so much old-geeks-in-basement stuff, but of interest. Looks like
      there is some coordinated action, follow some of the links such as:

      http://vertexlist.blogspot.com/2007/11/announcing-blip-festival-and-b-i-t-m-p.html

      Hey, it's a venue for my MITS Altair, next time maybe!

      Herb Johnson
      buzz buzz be buzz

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA