an interesting story

  • chrism3667
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
      Something tells me I've told this story before :D. Maybe it was
      elsewhere. Ah well, twice won't hurt anyway.
      About a year ago I won a rather peculiar item on geekbay. It was some
      weirdo pc card with an onboard 80186 processor. It was only 3 bucks so
      I said what the hay (I rarely ask questions before bidding, and
      largely do it on a whim). Boards with onboard cpu's, even '186's were
      not alien to me, in particular I own an old graphics (dual) card made
      by Vermont Microsystems with just that...an onboard '186. There was a
      legal battle over the use of some freaky triangulation algorithm by
      Auodesk (apparently an employee from VMS went to work at Autodesk and
      brought a trade secret with him. Ok just google it). Moving right
      along, I got to talking with this guy, the seller of the board, and he
      explained it was some type of weirdo communications board. He wrote
      the software for a system involving these boards back in the 80's. 3
      or 4 of were plopped inside a 12 mhz '286, and was the basis for a
      chat server that could handle 600 concurrent users in 256 different
      rooms! On a '286! They tried to sell it to Genie, a defunct early
      "provider" like Compuserve or even AOL in the pre-net days, but they
      instead decided that some big expensive honker mini was more suited
      for the task (?). I took the liberty of asking what language he
      programmed the software in, assuming it was C or C++. Turns out it was
      Modula-2, another earlier object oriented language.
      I don't know, I just found that story very very cool when it was
      told. I imagine it would be also to anyone who's interested in pushing
      bits along a wire. I need to go over this dude's house one of these
      days, and I'd like to ask if he still has the software. Anyone
      interested in setting up a Modula-2 based chat server? Alright don't
      answer that!
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
        >>> I need to go over this dude's house one of these days

        So he's in the area?  Where?  Make sure you preach MARCH to him.  :)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
          a wee bit north and west (I think) of Philly. He's not
          into vintage stuph as far as I know, but perhaps I can
          get some more cool stuph or at least interesting
          stories out of him.

          http://mail.yahoo.com