Re: [midatlanticretro] FYI: 8bit music festival - Blip Festival 2007 - Manhattan Nov 29 - Dec 2, 2007

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2007
      Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. I will contact the event organizers tonight.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
        I may check this out, sounds interesting. But it's not terribly
        "retro" by *my* standards:

        "....familiar but forgotten hardware - such as the Commodore 64, the
        Nintendo Entertainment System, the Atari game console and home
        computer line, and the Nintendo Game Boy..."

        Game Boy titles and games still trade around at Game Stop. And if the
        C-64 is "forgotten", they've absolutely IGNORED the Cromemco D+7A
        analog I/O card and Dazzler video card on the S-100 bus. Not to
        mention using memory read loops to generate RF tones on an AM radio,
        which goes back to mainframe days but was also done on IMSAIs and
        Altairs.

        "chiptune musical aesthetic and related low-bit visual art"

        This event seems to be mostly performance art, trailing-edge bands,
        and "repurposed" computers as musical instruments. Kinda tribal-retro,
        not so much old-geeks-in-basement stuff, but of interest. Looks like
        there is some coordinated action, follow some of the links such as:

        http://vertexlist.blogspot.com/2007/11/announcing-blip-festival-and-b-i-t-m-p.html

        Hey, it's a venue for my MITS Altair, next time maybe!

        Herb Johnson
        buzz buzz be buzz

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA