FYI: 8bit music festival - Blip Festival 2007 - Manhattan Nov 29 - Dec 2, 2007

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2007
      FYI:

      Just thought you might like to know, I mentioned it my relatives there in NYC- they like this stuff too.

      Blip Festival 2007 - 8bit music festival - Manhattan,  Nov 29 - Dec 2, 2007

      Manhattan art space The Tank and New York artist collective 8bitpeoples announce the Blip Festival 2007, a four-day music and multimedia event taking place in New York City November 29 - December 2, 2007. Focusing on the modern artistic exploration of primitive video game and home computer technology and featuring 40 musicians and visualists from around the world, the Blip Festival showcases artists adopting and repurposing familiar but forgotten hardware - such as the Commodore 64, the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Atari game console and home computer line, and the Nintendo Game Boy - exploring their untapped potential and unique aesthetic character. The festival's nightly concerts and daytime screenings, workshops, and presentations are supplemented by B I T M A P : as good as new, an adjunct visual art exhibition, held at acclaimed Brooklyn gallery vertexList. The Blip Festival 2007 offers a fascinating cross-section of the chiptune musical aesthetic and related low-bit visual art, in an explosive event taking place at the epicenter of the creative world.

      The festival will host evening concerts on all 4 nights. Each night's concert will cost $10 and include 8 musical acts and a variety of live visualists. Tickets will be available online starting in early November and will also be available at the door. Festival passes will also be available for sale in early November.

      http://www.blipfestival.org/

      =Dan
      [ "Not everything that can be counted counts,            ]
      [ and not everything that counts can be counted."        ]
      [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2007
        Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. I will contact the event organizers tonight.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
          I may check this out, sounds interesting. But it's not terribly
          "retro" by *my* standards:

          "....familiar but forgotten hardware - such as the Commodore 64, the
          Nintendo Entertainment System, the Atari game console and home
          computer line, and the Nintendo Game Boy..."

          Game Boy titles and games still trade around at Game Stop. And if the
          C-64 is "forgotten", they've absolutely IGNORED the Cromemco D+7A
          analog I/O card and Dazzler video card on the S-100 bus. Not to
          mention using memory read loops to generate RF tones on an AM radio,
          which goes back to mainframe days but was also done on IMSAIs and
          Altairs.

          "chiptune musical aesthetic and related low-bit visual art"

          This event seems to be mostly performance art, trailing-edge bands,
          and "repurposed" computers as musical instruments. Kinda tribal-retro,
          not so much old-geeks-in-basement stuff, but of interest. Looks like
          there is some coordinated action, follow some of the links such as:

          http://vertexlist.blogspot.com/2007/11/announcing-blip-festival-and-b-i-t-m-p.html

          Hey, it's a venue for my MITS Altair, next time maybe!

          Herb Johnson
          buzz buzz be buzz

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA