Re: [midatlanticretro] Bill's party, anyone!?

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2007

      I wish I could make it. Since coming back home from the hospital, and between the doctor checkups, I'll have to settle for hibernating in the hills over here. But I'll be back, soon enough.

      =Dan

      [ "Not everything that can be counted counts,            ]
      [ and not everything that counts can be counted."        ]
      [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

      B. Degnan wrote:
      At 08:44 PM 11/24/2007 -0500, you wrote:

      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      Spoke with Bill just now on the phone.  We really need to know what's
      up with everyone.  I think InfoAge is the most central meeting point,
      or we can just get together somewhere in the Trenton area ... true,
      the latter wouldn't be a "party" as Herb noted, but I'm just as happy
      to hang out over food and brews in a restaurant.  Or, if we stick to
      Bill's office, then we can get our hands dirty with high-tech, play
      some games, hack away, whatever.

      Meanwhile, to make sure NEXT year's party is bigger, I'm going to use
      my copious spare time (ha!!!) to do some more advertising/marketing.

      I am going, wherever it is..  I like the idea of Bill's office as he has
      all of the vintage geek fun stuff.. (MAME cabinet, PONG arcade plus
      other fun stuff.. )
      oh.. and a theremin!  :D

      Trenton is the most logical central location IMHO, but my offer to host
      stands only with my location.   If someone else wants to organize the NJ
      event, let me know *this* weekend otherwise I am still going forward with
      the 15th at my office down town.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2007
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Spoke with Bill just now on the phone. We really need to know what's up
        > with everyone. I think InfoAge is the most central meeting point,
        or we can
        > just get together somewhere in the Trenton area ... true, the latter
        > wouldn't be a "party" as Herb noted, but I'm just as happy to hang
        out over
        > food and brews in a restaurant. Or, if we stick to Bill's office,
        then we
        > can get our hands dirty with high-tech, play some games, hack away,
        > whatever.
        >
        > Meanwhile, to make sure NEXT year's party is bigger, I'm going to use my
        > copious spare time (ha!!!) to do some more advertising/marketing.

        I think Bill is gracious in offering to be host and caterer and
        entrainment, and I'll be pleased to be there in December with Bill and
        whoever shows up otherwise. Strictly on the merits, I think free food
        and a venue and toys and music, trumps either buying ribs somewhere
        and leaving after dessert, or pizza and videogames at Infoage. But
        Bill was first to offer.

        Perhaps next year, a bit of earlier planning and prior notice would
        help others set their expectations and travel arrangements earlier;
        Maybe another venue could be established for those who find Deleware
        too far this year. Ya gotta have the long view on this stuff.

        For that matter, there could be more than ONE venue next year, on the
        same evening, to provide more opportunities for the dispersed MARCH
        community. If Chuck Peddle can give a lecture from Sri Lanka at the
        MARCH VCF, I suspect we could do something similar next year between a
        few venues, to hook everyone up.

        These ideas could be discussed this year in principle for next year,
        while this has our attention. Who has a venue north of central New
        Jersey by next December?

        Herb Johnson
        party animal

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA