Re: Something else to preserve: stories from early computer companies

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
      Hey!

      Evan - there isn't just one big history pie, and if Apple has a big piece, then it must mean
      everyone else gets a smaller one! 8) There is room for history of all kinds! If there isn't
      enough history recorded on the other brands, then lets record more and catch up!

      -Jim
      www.macmothership.com

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
      > <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things...
      </sarcasm>

      > Have you seen http://www.http://thocp.net ...? It's not very
      complete but
      > they have the same idea as you.
      >

      > _____

      .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

      Service
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
        Well, the sender was Bob "Apple"gate... maybe it's a conspiracy.  :)

        Evan - there isn't just one big history pie, and if Apple has a big piece, then it must mean
        everyone else gets a smaller one!  8) There is room for history of all kinds! If there isn't
        enough history recorded on the other brands, then lets record more and catch up!

        -Jim
        www.macmothership.com

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

        <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things...
        </sarcasm>

        > Have you seen
        href="http://www.http://thocp.net">http://www.http://thocp.net ...?  It's not very
        complete but
        > they have the same idea as
        you.

        >   _____

        > Okay, the title is fairly long, but says a lot.  There is
        a lot of
        focus to
        > preserve older machines, but not much recorded
        about the cultures
        > and events from inside the companies that created
        them.  I see
        stories
        > at other sites about some internal
        discussions about what lead up
        > to various products, and those are often
        far more interesting than
        > the actual products.
        >
        > There
        are some sites that discuss this.  For example,
        > www.folklore.org
        has lots of stories from the creation of the
        > original Apple Mac.
        Very interesting reading!  I've been recording
        > some of my Franklin
        Computer experiences at
        > www.apple2clones.com, and a few others have
        added their
        > stories, but a lot hasn't been written.  For example,
        MANY of
        > the cartoons in the user manuals are based on real people
        and
        > real events... unless someone told you, you'd never know it.
        >
        > In this area (northeast) there were a LOT of small companies
        during
        > the early computer era (70s-80s), yet there seem to be few
        people
        > who admit working for them and willing to record some of
        the
        > neat stuff that went on.  I was always fascinated about TDL
        in
        > the Trenton area... one of the first S-100 Z80 CPU boards,
        didn't
        > need a front panel, etc.  In the last 23 years, I've worked
        with
        > ONE guy from there, and he didn't seem interested in
        recording
        > some of the interesting stories he told me.

        If you bump into someone who worked for an old (probably gone)
        > company,
        get them to write down stuff!  Even if they don't want to
        > post,
        please get what you can and get it on a web site somewhere.
        > The old
        stories are sometimes dull, but often interesting.  It also
        > creates
        a neat view of things at that moment in time.

        > If you know of
        sites that specialize in this sort of history,
        please let
        > me know...
        this stuff is fun to read!

        > 73
        >
        > Bob -
        K2UT

        Bob Applegate
        > Senior Software Engineer
        > Embedded Development
        Group
        > Ulticom, Inc
        > 856-787-2761
        >

        >   _____
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > *      To visit your group on the
        web, go to:

        > *      To unsubscribe from this
        group, send an email to:

        .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

        > *      Your use
        of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service
        > <

      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
          Oh, no! The secret's out! 8)

          On another note, I have my collection recorded on a spread sheet, as I suspect many other
          members do, as well. Does anyone feel it would be a benefit to the group to begin a
          database of our collections - sort of the "group assets" list, if you will.
          Just a thought.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
            Someday, our web site will have user pages.

            Until then, this is a good idea.

            On another note, I have my collection recorded on a spread sheet, as I suspect many other
            members do, as well. Does anyone feel it would be a benefit to the group to begin a
            database of our collections - sort of the  "group assets" list, if you will.
            Just a thought.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
            > Well, the sender was Bob "Apple"gate...
            maybe it's a conspiracy.  :)

            >   _____

            companies

            > Hey!
            >
            > Evan - there isn't
            just one big history pie, and if Apple has a big piece,
            > then it must
            mean
            > everyone else gets a smaller one!  8) There is room for
            history of all
            > kinds! If there isn't
            > enough history recorded on
            the other brands, then lets record more and catch
            > up!

            -Jim
            > www.macmothership.com
            >

            > --- In
            midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
            > > <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things...

            </sarcasm>

            > > Have you seen
            href="http://www.http://thocp.net">http://www.http://thocp.net ...?  It's not very
            > complete but
            > > they have the same idea as
            you.

            > >   _____

            Applegate
            > > Senior Software Engineer
            > > Embedded
            Development Group
            > > Ulticom, Inc
            > > 856-787-2761
            > >

            > >   _____
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

            > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service
            > > <
            >

            >   _____

            > *      To unsubscribe from this
            group, send an email to:

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
              Ok, I know this is a bit pie-in-the-sky, but...

              Once we have all these beautiful exhibits set up at ~whatever it's called~
              and we can induce some historic people to visit the museam, we should record
              their comments on the exhibits - capture the stories that they can tell right
              there on the spot - while they're looking at the exhibit. Such audio would
              become a unique addition to the library (oh yes, we need a research library)
              and to the exhibits. There are not a lot of Apollo computers lying around -
              or pieces of ENIAC. We need an astronaut to talk about the Apollo computer.
              There must be someon from the ENIAC project still around or someone who saw
              it actually working. On the early microcomputer stuff, it would be nice to
              point out any NJ tie-ins.

              This museum has some real potiential.