Just acquired a HP 9825B

  • Matthew Patoray
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22 11:23 AM
      Hi all,

      I just acquired a HP 9825B computer with an optional
      upgrade to 61K of ram. The printer has a drive problem
      and will not feed paper, what is a common cure for
      this?

      I am also looking for the basics of how to operate and
      program the unit.

      I am also looking for the following
      A compatible Thermal paper for the printer.
      An RS-232 card
      Floppy disc drive system with interface card
      Any Software cartridges
      Any DC-100 tapes, or what might also work
      Operating guide

      Thanks,
      Matt
    • Christian R. Fandt
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22 8:06 PM
        Hi Matt,

        Great little machine you've got there. Really advanced technology for the
        time (1976 when introduced) all in a very small package.

        I've got two 9825s, one basically dead, that I've known well since they
        were brand new in the late 1970s. Got them when removed from service at a
        former place of employment along with all the documentation and accessories.

        With the upgraded RAM, and perhaps an upgrade to the System ROM with this
        option, the 9825B will then be referred to as 9825T, as yours is now. FYI,
        the 9825A when upgraded in this way became the 9825S.

        The basic 9825B which came along in 1979 or 80, has a couple of
        improvements over the initial "A" version from '76. They include among
        other things a built-in System ROM, instead of a removable System ROM
        cartridge on the side, and a very nice Cherry-brand full travel keyboard
        instead of the original and failure-prone "chiclet" type.

        I recall that the elastomer paper drive roller had occasionally gotten a
        little "dry", or rather lost its grip. I believe I used isopropyl alcohol
        to revive the surface; but its been since the early 90s that I've really
        used the machines and cannot recall the exact solution. But try that first.
        Use 99% IPA, not the drug store type which is only 70% (with 30% water of
        which goes by the moniker "rubbing alcohol"). A well-stocked pharmacy may
        have 99%. If you really have to use the drug store stuff, for Heaven's sake
        don't get the stuff with the lotions, or perfumes or other crap added!
        Trust me on this. Maybe denatured alcohol will work too.

        As for how to program the machine and to learn a LOT about the 9825 family
        I firmly suggest rummaging all through The Museum of HP Calculators
        at http://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Additionally, MoHPC offers a set of DVDs
        which have all the HP manuals I have EVER known for the 9825A/B machines
        plus almost a thousand other HP documents (!). $30 is really reasonable for
        the electronic versions of the 6-to-8 inch stack of paper manuals like I
        have in my library. Note that I have absolutely no connection whatsoever
        with the MoHPC except for being a huge fan. I easily get lost in that
        website and spend way too much time reading interesting stuff on HP gear.

        I used to be rather fluent in HPL, but that was back in the mid-1980s.
        Really efficient language. Some of the array programming I used was
        incredibly powerful and complex, yet quite short in code length. Oh well.
        Time marches on . . .

        As for thermal paper, we used the HP-supplied stuff but there was a Texas
        Instruments part number we also bought. However, being that neither is
        available anymore as far as I can tell, try using a thermal calculator
        paper with the same width dimension, say +/- 0.20" or so. Width is
        important so that the paper doesn't either jam or otherwise go kattiwampus.

        A 98034, I think, is the RS232 module.

        Good luck on finding a floppy system. They were the 9885M. See:
        http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp9825.htm near the bottom. You'll see even more
        info on the MoHPC website by rummaging around or in the manuals on DVD if
        you get them.

        There were few store-bought app software carts as much of the applications
        were custom-written by the user for whatever purpose the machine was used.
        You'll see a few short clips of HPL on that
        http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp9825.htm webpage.

        DC-100 carts are almost to point of either hen's teeth or pure unobtanium.
        Might be lucky to find some used or even NOS somewhere.

        HOWEVER, and this is VERY IMPORTANT (emphasis is demanded here): Do NOT
        insert any tape cart until you KNOW that the rubber tape drive roller has
        not turned to a sticky goo!! Simply touch lightly the roller with a dry
        fingertip and remove. If there's ANY evidence of stickiness, then you're
        outta luck for now. If slightly sticky, pressing firmly on the roller may
        then cause it to deform and either stay deformed or very slowly return to
        shape. Otherwise, like I have on the tape drive on my 1982-vintage HP250-30
        business computer, the drive roller has literally turned to a goo and
        flowed down the roller shaft. Ugh. What a project to clean up and repair
        when I get time (whazzat?!?)

        Your roller is fixable, but that is for later when it is indeed determined
        repair is needed. Please let me know what you find. Others here who are
        savvy to HP tape drives know of what I speak. We have found a way to
        replace the gooey thing with a new roller surface. My working 9825 has this
        problem too. We'll work it out.

        Checking epay is a good recommendation to find some of the hardware stuff
        of which you seek. Keep an eye peeled for items you've identified as needed.

        Good luck with it!

        Regards, Chris F.

        NNNN

        Upon the date 02:23 PM 11/22/2007, Matthew Patoray said something like:
        >Hi all,
        >
        >I just acquired a HP 9825B computer with an optional
        >upgrade to 61K of ram. The printer has a drive problem
        >and will not feed paper, what is a common cure for
        >this?
        >
        >I am also looking for the basics of how to operate and
        >program the unit.
        >
        >I am also looking for the following
        >A compatible Thermal paper for the printer.
        >An RS-232 card
        >Floppy disc drive system with interface card
        >Any Software cartridges
        >Any DC-100 tapes, or what might also work
        >Operating guide
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Matt
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
        Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
        Member of Antique Wireless Association