RE: [midatlanticretro] Something else to preserve: stories from early computer companies

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
      <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things... </sarcasm>

      Have you seen http://www.http://thocp.net ...?  It's not very complete but they have the same idea as you.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
        Hey!

        Evan - there isn't just one big history pie, and if Apple has a big piece, then it must mean
        everyone else gets a smaller one! 8) There is room for history of all kinds! If there isn't
        enough history recorded on the other brands, then lets record more and catch up!

        -Jim
        www.macmothership.com

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
        > <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things...
        </sarcasm>

        > Have you seen http://www.http://thocp.net ...? It's not very
        complete but
        > they have the same idea as you.
        >

        > _____

        .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
          Well, the sender was Bob "Apple"gate... maybe it's a conspiracy.  :)

          Evan - there isn't just one big history pie, and if Apple has a big piece, then it must mean
          everyone else gets a smaller one!  8) There is room for history of all kinds! If there isn't
          enough history recorded on the other brands, then lets record more and catch up!

          -Jim
          www.macmothership.com

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

          <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things...
          </sarcasm>

          > Have you seen
          href="http://www.http://thocp.net">http://www.http://thocp.net ...?  It's not very
          complete but
          > they have the same idea as
          you.

          >   _____

          > Okay, the title is fairly long, but says a lot.  There is
          a lot of
          focus to
          > preserve older machines, but not much recorded
          about the cultures
          > and events from inside the companies that created
          them.  I see
          stories
          > at other sites about some internal
          discussions about what lead up
          > to various products, and those are often
          far more interesting than
          > the actual products.
          >
          > There
          are some sites that discuss this.  For example,
          > www.folklore.org
          has lots of stories from the creation of the
          > original Apple Mac.
          Very interesting reading!  I've been recording
          > some of my Franklin
          Computer experiences at
          > www.apple2clones.com, and a few others have
          added their
          > stories, but a lot hasn't been written.  For example,
          MANY of
          > the cartoons in the user manuals are based on real people
          and
          > real events... unless someone told you, you'd never know it.
          >
          > In this area (northeast) there were a LOT of small companies
          during
          > the early computer era (70s-80s), yet there seem to be few
          people
          > who admit working for them and willing to record some of
          the
          > neat stuff that went on.  I was always fascinated about TDL
          in
          > the Trenton area... one of the first S-100 Z80 CPU boards,
          didn't
          > need a front panel, etc.  In the last 23 years, I've worked
          with
          > ONE guy from there, and he didn't seem interested in
          recording
          > some of the interesting stories he told me.

          If you bump into someone who worked for an old (probably gone)
          > company,
          get them to write down stuff!  Even if they don't want to
          > post,
          please get what you can and get it on a web site somewhere.
          > The old
          stories are sometimes dull, but often interesting.  It also
          > creates
          a neat view of things at that moment in time.

          > If you know of
          sites that specialize in this sort of history,
          please let
          > me know...
          this stuff is fun to read!

          > 73
          >
          > Bob -
          K2UT

          Bob Applegate
          > Senior Software Engineer
          > Embedded Development
          Group
          > Ulticom, Inc
          > 856-787-2761
          >

          >   _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > *      To visit your group on the
          web, go to:

          > *      To unsubscribe from this
          group, send an email to:

          .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

          > *      Your use
          of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service
          > <

        • macmothership
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
            Oh, no! The secret's out! 8)

            On another note, I have my collection recorded on a spread sheet, as I suspect many other
            members do, as well. Does anyone feel it would be a benefit to the group to begin a
            database of our collections - sort of the "group assets" list, if you will.
            Just a thought.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
              Someday, our web site will have user pages.

              Until then, this is a good idea.

              On another note, I have my collection recorded on a spread sheet, as I suspect many other
              members do, as well. Does anyone feel it would be a benefit to the group to begin a
              database of our collections - sort of the  "group assets" list, if you will.
              Just a thought.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
              > Well, the sender was Bob "Apple"gate...
              maybe it's a conspiracy.  :)

              >   _____

              companies

              > Hey!
              >
              > Evan - there isn't
              just one big history pie, and if Apple has a big piece,
              > then it must
              mean
              > everyone else gets a smaller one!  8) There is room for
              history of all
              > kinds! If there isn't
              > enough history recorded on
              the other brands, then lets record more and catch
              > up!

              -Jim
              > www.macmothership.com
              >

              > --- In
              midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
              > > <sarcasm> Yeah, there aren't enough Apple history things...

              </sarcasm>

              > > Have you seen
              href="http://www.http://thocp.net">http://www.http://thocp.net ...?  It's not very
              > complete but
              > > they have the same idea as
              you.

              > >   _____

              Applegate
              > > Senior Software Engineer
              > > Embedded
              Development Group
              > > Ulticom, Inc
              > > 856-787-2761
              > >

              > >   _____
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

              .com?subject=Unsubscribe>

              > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
              Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service
              > > <
              >

              >   _____

              > *      To unsubscribe from this
              group, send an email to:

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
                Ok, I know this is a bit pie-in-the-sky, but...

                Once we have all these beautiful exhibits set up at ~whatever it's called~
                and we can induce some historic people to visit the museam, we should record
                their comments on the exhibits - capture the stories that they can tell right
                there on the spot - while they're looking at the exhibit. Such audio would
                become a unique addition to the library (oh yes, we need a research library)
                and to the exhibits. There are not a lot of Apollo computers lying around -
                or pieces of ENIAC. We need an astronaut to talk about the Apollo computer.
                There must be someon from the ENIAC project still around or someone who saw
                it actually working. On the early microcomputer stuff, it would be nice to
                point out any NJ tie-ins.

                This museum has some real potiential.