Vintage Software

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2007

      I just got a bunch of vintage software from a member of my local FreeCycle group.  I haven’t sorted it all out yet.  But this is a list from the person that giving it away.

      I have never heard of Lotus Improv, or Zone 66.  Turbo CAD I’m guessing is computer aided drafting. I was going to install some of the software onto my IBM PS/2 Model 60, but I have an extra computer, that is an older Gateway, that I think I will install this software onto.

      Jim K.

      5½” floppies:

      MSDOS 4.01
      Lotus Improv for Windows 2.0
      PrintShop Deluxe
      MS Win 3.1
      WordPerfect 5.1 (DOS)
      Several plastic cases
      Blank floppies

      3½” floppies:

      Turbo Cad

      Zone 66 X-Rated
      FS-5 Close Up
      WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows - Compatible with current versions
      MS Word - first version, I think
      Print Shop Deluxe

      After Dark Screen saver
      Earth Savers Screen saver
      Star Trek Screen saver
      Typing Tutor
      Norton Anti virus for Windows and DOS
      MS Dos 6.22
      MS Win 3.11
      Quicken 7 for DOS
      DOOM - Original version
      Misc Games

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
          Turbo Cad is a Mechanical drafting package, good by all accounts but
          I've never used it as my platform is AutoCad. TurboCad is still being
          sold, Google for it.

          Mike.

          -- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim"

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            Are you new here? Please introduce yourself ... location, interests, how
            you found us, your history with computers.

            - Evan

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2007
              Sorry, a bit off topic but you did ask.

              Hi Evan, and others,

              Been here a few months so that makes me a "lurker" rather than a
              contributor, so far. Located in the UK just south of London. Interests
              computers (use one every day as an electromechanical deign eng), also
              run several websites, wildlife, space, si-fi.

              Found MARCH a while back on Google after searching for some computer
              types. My computing history started late 60's as an apprentice with a
              government jet engine test facility (Pyestoc aka The National Gas
              Turbine Establishment). I worked on many engines there including the
              Olympus for Concorde (very sad treatment of that plane, typical of UK
              Gov), Pegasus - Harrier (AV8B), RB211 and engines for the Sea King and
              others. Became a computer tech at Pyestock maintaining an Elliott
              803B, PDP7, SDS9300 and PDP11-20, related peripherals and systems, all
              these computers were used to monitor engines during test. Have also
              worked at ICL as contract service on Leo III (#26), Ampex TM2 and TM4
              tape drives.

              Currently working on restoring an old Soemtron ETR 220 calculator back
              to health just for the sake of doing it, as if I'm not busy enough
              already !. www.soemtron.org

              Long term, I'm searching for any PDP7's that may still exist, although
              there is very little hope. I know of 2/3, The University of Oregon one
              now at PDP Planet, one supposedly in a museum in Australia and Tore
              Bekkedal's one in Sweden although its heavily butchered with TTL
              according to Tore. (http://toresbe.at.ifi.uio.no/dec/pdp7/agi/). Have
              heard rumours of a possible 2 more ?. I have the PDP7 service list
              and currently am trying to contact the listed UK sites, most of them
              Universities so they still exist. The PDP7 I worked on (#41, listed as
              at the "Ministry of Public Buildings", UK gov speak for Ministry of
              Defence) if it is still there is less than 5 miles away, so near,
              difficult to get to - (http://www.hartlandpark.co.uk/index.html) and
              (http://www.malcolmknight.org/open/pages/indices/knight/ngte.htm).

              Regards,
              Mike Hatch

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 22, 2007
                Great story about your background ... Thanks for sharing. If you're ever in
                the northeast/mid-Atlantic parts of the USA, then come visit us!