A2 drive cable needed for MARCH

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 18, 2007
      Here in the preview room -- we have the duodisk drive and an (apparently working) //e, but no drive cable. Who's got one extra? I'd also like to expand this with a working Imagewriter.
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 18, 2007
        On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Evan wrote:

        > Here in the preview room -- we have the duodisk drive and an (apparently
        > working) //e, but no drive cable. Who's got one extra? I'd also like
        > to expand this with a working Imagewriter.

        I can make you one, if no one else has a spare.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 20, 2007
          I'm considering redoing my collection site with some CSS menus, and
          would like to get some feedback from you guys. I've tested the new code
          with the current crop of web browsers on Unix, Windows and Mac, but I
          suspect that many vintage enthusiasts may be using older software
          (duh). First, the current front page:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

          Now, the new front page:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/newindex.html

          Most of the menu pulldowns are live, but you'll have to use the Back
          button to return to the new front page.

          I'd appreciate your comments.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2007
            At 08:17 PM 11/20/2007 -0500, you wrote:

            > I'm considering redoing my collection site with some CSS menus, and
            >would like to get some feedback from you guys. I've tested the new code
            >with the current crop of web browsers on Unix, Windows and Mac, but I
            >suspect that many vintage enthusiasts may be using older software
            >(duh). First, the current front page:
            >
            >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
            >
            > Now, the new front page:
            >
            >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/newindex.html
            >
            > Most of the menu pulldowns are live, but you'll have to use the Back
            >button to return to the new front page.
            >
            > I'd appreciate your comments.

            It works on my browser. Good use of html 4.
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 23, 2007
              The drop menus do not work under IE5 on Win98.

              Jim

              At 08:17 PM 11/20/2007 -0500, you wrote:

              >    I'm considering redoing my collection site with some CSS menus,
              and
              >would like to get some feedback from you guys.  I've tested the new
              code
              >with the current crop of web browsers on Unix, Windows and Mac, but I
              >suspect that many vintage enthusiasts may be using older software
              >(duh).  First, the current front page:
              >
              >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
              >
              >    Now, the new front page:
              >
              >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/newindex.html
              >
              >    Most of the menu pulldowns are live, but you'll have to use the
              Back
              >button to return to the new front page.
              >
              >    I'd appreciate your comments.

              It works on my browser.  Good use of html 4.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                Jim,
                Modern web page design "web 2.0" no longer supports Win 98/IE5.  It's too expensive for us (at my company) to guarantee any web page on any browser that does not support style sheets.  Although Windows 2000 is still going strong, Win 98 is obsolete.  Of course this is coming from someone who gets teased by the North Star users group for using AOL 5 for email replies - AOL 5 does not play nice with newer email software and my emails do not format properly for easy reading any more.  I regrettably will have to move on myself.

                that said, mike could detect the browser type with a simple javascript and re-direct those users to a set of pages that does not use style sheets.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                  So how would it render in Lynx? :)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                    Clarification to previous statement Before I get flamed...Windows 98 is
                    still capable of handling modern Internet TCPIP and for this reason it's
                    not quite obsolete, just old and no longer supported. IE 5 on the other
                    hand is definitely obsolete for "Web 2.0" stuff (AJAX, CSS, etc). This is
                    what Mike was originally asking about, in summary - "I have modernized my
                    web site, what do you think??"

                    bd
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                      On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Evan wrote:

                      > So how would it render in Lynx? :)

                      Hopefully, as a set of unordered listed links...

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                        I remember using Lynx for the first time in college, Telnetting into sites such as Case Western Reserve, etc., and being utterly baffled about why I couldn't see any por ... ummm, "images". Then one day I wandered out of my dorm to the computer center and discovered Mosaic. :)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                          It would actually look nicer because the total formatting code would be
                          less. I am assuming the style sheet is external.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                            I was only joking ...

                            Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Site feedback (off topic)
                            Date: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 am
                            Size: 1K
                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                            It would actually look nicer because the total formatting code would be
                            less. I am assuming the style sheet is external.
                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 24, 2007
                              > Now, the new front page:
                              >
                              >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/newindex.html

                              Not seeing those drop menus under IE6.0.2800.1106IC either.

                              John A.