Today @ InfoAge

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
      Today it was only Bryan and I, but we got plenty done. We put some things from our basement storage room into filing cabinets, cleaned the preview room (it was a mess), and moved a bunch of abandoned Wall PD office dividers from the basement upstairs to our 9032-C exhibit rooms (with help from Steve G., InfoAge fire safety officer Nels Warren, and Kyle who is a teenage general InfoAge volunteer). In the upstairs light, the dividers turned out to be clean and in good condition -- it was very dark and hard to tell in the basement but our gamble on claiming them paid off. We also cleared out the final in-the-way computers from our first ( the largest) exhibit room -- that was the Philips terminal which Dave Gesswein, Joe Giliberti, and I had to disaasemble to move to InfoAge in the first place; today we did that again to get it out of the way. Finally, we spent some time fixing air bubbles in the large exhibit room's carpet, by laying some of the heavy office dividers on the ground.
      Hopefully that will flatten the carpet which was rolled up for a long time before we put it down a couple of months ago. Meanwhile, other InfoAge workers were painting our 9032 hallway, and still others spent time today doing campus landscaping. Also, Bryan will inspect and restore as necessary our recent donation of a PET 2001.

      - Evan
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
        Evan wrote:
        > months ago. Meanwhile, other InfoAge workers were painting our 9032 hallway, and still others spent time today doing campus landscaping. Also, Bryan will inspect and restore as necessary our recent donation of a PET 2001.

        Check out the pics I have uploaded of this beautiful gem here:
        (in the Photos section of the yahoo site..)

        This is an original PET 2001 with the chiclet keyboard.. :) But the
        really cool awesome thing about this baby is that she has the "rev 1"
        motherboard.. It is a"320008" and has Commodore made ROMs (6540) and
        RAMs (6550).. Later motherboards used a combination of C= made/off the
        shelf ROM/RAMs, then finally all off the shelf ROM and RAMs... The C=
        made ROMs and RAMs are extremely hard to find today while you can still
        buy replacements for the off the shelf ROMs (EPROMS, which would have to
        be programmed) and RAMs (2114).

        The nicest thing is this system booted up without any problems! :D :D
        She shows 7167 bytes free (which is the proper bytes for 8K PETs, I just
        checked with VICE), I ran a simple "Hello world, I am happy, alive and
        well" program with no problems and have been letting her stay on for the
        last couple of hours with zero problems..

        The only issues with this beauty is some keys on the keyboard are a
        little unresponsive and the tape drive currently does not work.. But I
        believe I can fix the tape drive by sacrificing a tape drive belt from
        one of my C= tape drives (I had to do this with my PET 2001) as I can
        hear the tape when I press play, fast forward.. The keyboard may need a
        little more work....

        Cheers!,

        Bryan
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
          sorry I couldn't be there. I woke up at 6 am friday, and plan on going to sleep around 6am sunday. With the exception of all the caffeine, no energy.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
            Way to go, Bryan!

            It makes me really happy to see a variety of MARCHins getting into their
            various projects on behalf of the whole group. Bob G. fixed the Hero robot,
            Herb's tackling the PDP-11/20 and already restored our original Mac, Bill D.
            tore into our Altair 8800 (and hopefully our SWTPC next!), now Bryan's given
            an expert inspection for the Pet 2001 ... I probably forgot a couple of
            others, but please chime in if you're reading this and were one of them.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
              Message
              No problem, Joe.  Saving lives is (gasp!) more important than saving computers.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007

                >Check out the pics I have uploaded of this beautiful gem here:
                >(in the Photos section of the yahoo site..)
                >
                >This is an original PET 2001 with the chiclet keyboard.. :) But the
                >really cool awesome thing about this baby is that she has the "rev 1"
                >motherboard.. It is a"320008" and has Commodore made ROMs (6540) and
                >RAMs (6550).. Later motherboards used a combination of C= made/off the
                >shelf ROM/RAMs, then finally all off the shelf ROM and RAMs... The C=
                >made ROMs and RAMs are extremely hard to find today while you can still
                >buy replacements for the off the shelf ROMs (EPROMS, which would have to
                >be programmed) and RAMs (2114).
                >
                >The nicest thing is this system booted up without any problems! :D :D
                >She shows 7167 bytes free (which is the proper bytes for 8K PETs, I just
                >checked with VICE), I ran a simple "Hello world, I am happy, alive and
                >well" program with no problems and have been letting her stay on for the
                >last couple of hours with zero problems..
                >
                >The only issues with this beauty is some keys on the keyboard are a
                >little unresponsive and the tape drive currently does not work.. But I
                >believe I can fix the tape drive by sacrificing a tape drive belt from
                >one of my C= tape drives (I had to do this with my PET 2001) as I can
                >hear the tape when I press play, fast forward.. The keyboard may need a
                >little more work....

                The original PETs seem to have been Q&A'd well a lot have held up
                nicely. Another Commodore saved! Among my numerous projects, I am working
                on a tape duplication system, with which I can archive my PET program tapes
                and donate a copy to MARCH.

                bd
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
                  Saving lives? Hah... Last night, all we did was take a pothead and an old lady to the hospital, neither of whom were  dying or anything.

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
                    Bryan Pope wrote:
                    > little unresponsive and the tape drive currently does not work.. But I
                    > believe I can fix the tape drive by sacrificing a tape drive belt from
                    > one of my C= tape drives (I had to do this with my PET 2001) as I can
                    > hear the tape when I press play, fast forward..
                    I have replaced the tape drive belt and now the tape drive can Play,
                    Fast-forward and rewind! :) (I know I have quite a few tape drives, but
                    why can't I find one when I want one?? Maybe more organization is
                    needed.. ugh.. ) It is nice that the C= tape drive belts seem to be the
                    same size even though the exterior form factor is totally different!
                    One day I will need to figure out the size of the tape belt so that I
                    may be able to find a true new replacement... The old datasette belt
                    was not broken but it had lost its elasticity and was rotting away.

                    But while the mechanics of the datasette are now operational, I am not
                    able to load a program from a tape that worked on another PET 2001...
                    (all it does is keep searching...) :( More testing ensues.. (and the
                    use of another known working datasette!)

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2007
                      Good news -- tonight (11/29) -- Steve informed me of the "discovery" of many
                      more of these nice-looking dividers in the hotel basement. Apparently they
                      were hidden behind a bunch of other crap. What we found is twice as many as
                      we schlepped a couple of weeks ago. So, this time I will hire Domingo and
                      Geronimo -- they are Fred's staff of neighborhood day laborers -- they work
                      for $10 an hour. For $20 or $40, if this takes a couple of hours, it's
                      worth our money to let other people do the heavy lifting! Hard to explain
                      in email, but for anyone who's been down in the InfoAge basement and
                      seen/felt the size/weight of these dividers, you'll understand! They're a
                      PITA to move and awkward to bring up the basement ramp and across the street
                      to our exhibit rooms. So, executive decision, we'll outsource this task.
                      :)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 22, 2009
                        Joe and I put in a few more hours at the museum today. We went to Home
                        Depot and bought carpet for Room 2 (homebrew / SBC). InfoAge's
                        electrician (Bob P.) also visited and Fred is having him fix the lights
                        in that room. Joe and I made several more posters and began hanging
                        them in Room 3 (microcomputers).

                        I'll be back at it this Sunday. Time is t.b.a.