VCF East 5, InfoAge updates

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 14, 2007
      Hi all,

      A handful of news from tonight's meeting:

      - High schools students and other volunteers, working in some program for the local gas utility, began painting the hallways in building 9032 -- that's the second major structure behind the Hotel, where our museum is located. Fred intends for this painting project to be complete in a month or two. They're painting the hallways in the original Army scheme, which is light green on top and dark green on bottom. The Army wasn't very creative in thinking other than, "Nice to look at ... how about a ** different shade ** of green, sir?" :) Anyway, after the hallways are painted, we'll carpet the floor, and then ... well then our museum space will be just about ready to inhabit! Our four consecutive rooms are all on the same side of wing 9032-A, so we'll decorate the opposite side of the hallway with a massive timeline. I envision us making the timeline on big sheets of presentation board, so that we can move it around without disturbing the walls. By having it on the opposite side o
      f the hallway from our exhibit rooms, it will emphasize to visitors that they're truly in InfoAge's computers wing (the rooms on that side of the hallway are just storage and bathrooms, so we don't have to worry about detracting from other groups). Also as I explained in the past, I envision dual timelines -- one showing general dates in the history of computing and another, in parallel, showing LOCAL dates. This will give visitors some context and it's an "exhibit" to see even when our rooms are closed. We can also decorate the walls in our wing with vintage computer posters, photos, magazine covers / advertisements, t-shirts, notable quotes, maybe a large map of the region that shows were vintage computer companies were located. (Anyone have other hallway decoration ideas? Do share!)

      - A local student, for his Eagle Scout project, is leading a team who'll turn the basement storage room of the military technology club into a "Fallout Theater". The idea is to recreate a real shelter, with authentic supplies, rations, etc. ... visitors will watch a short film, maybe ending with a simulated blast ... think LOTS of subwoofer and a bright flash ... and then they'll explore the shelter in some educational way

      - I spoke with NJARC's Ray Chase about the Mauchly news. Ray said that based on the particular problems Mauchly described in the oral history (parabolic radar, etc.), he was absolutely talking about Camp Evans. But it's still very important to independently confirm this, otherwise we can only tell visitors "we believe" instead of "we know" ... so my next step is to revisit the Mauchly archives at Penn, and also to ask my Penn contacts where the Moore School's own archives are stored. Between both archives, it's a sure thing that we will solve this debate with hard proof. Just may take a while.

      - VCF East 5.0 tentative dates: weekend of August 23-24. This is the weekend before Labor Day weekend. Yes, it will be hot out, but it gives us the maximum time to finish renovations, make some initial museum exhibits, and plan the normal VCF stuff. ** IF ANYONE HAS A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THAT WEEKEND, THEN SPEAK NOW OR DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT LATER. ** ... Thanks for understanding. :)

      - I'll be around Sunday from 10-ish to the late afternoon. Plenty to do and I will need help!! Please give me a shout if you CAN be there.

      - Evan
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 14, 2007
        Correction -- our museum rooms are in 9032-C, not -A. "A" is the room where we had the lectures and Big Iron exhibits at VCF East 4.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
          hey fellas,

          Evan wrote:
          I envision us making the timeline on big sheets of presentation board, so that we can move it around without disturbing the walls.
          [snip]
          We can also decorate the walls in our wing with vintage computer posters, photos, magazine covers / advertisements, t-shirts, notable quotes, maybe a large map of the region that shows were vintage computer companies were located.  (Anyone have other
          Let us know what list of materials for this would be needed, I'm sure alot of us can anty up some artwork materials to help build this.
          - A local student, for his Eagle Scout project, is leading a team who'll turn the basement storage room of the military technology club into a "Fallout Theater".  The idea is to recreate a real shelter, with authentic supplies, rations, etc. ... visitors will watch a short film, maybe ending with a simulated blast ... think LOTS of subwoofer and a bright flash ... and then they'll explore the shelter in some educational way

          Just a quick suggestion, I once used a paint shake motor that was bolted to a seat to simulate an explosion--besides the sound--. That room is must be larger but there's some possibilities in adding this effect (adding a false floor).

          - VCF East 5.0 tentative dates: weekend of August 23-24.  This is the weekend before Labor Day weekend.
          From what you said about VCFmidwest moving their show up to Jul, it sounds like a good midpoint between that and VCFwest to allow the 'core' visitors to make this show.
          Yes, it will be hot out, but it gives us the maximum time to finish renovations, make some initial museum exhibits, and plan the normal VCF stuff.

          You can still keep me down for the main room AC. I just have to figure out when in the spring to drop it off, (TCF ?)

          =Dan
          [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
          [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
            Dan, that's slightly incorrect. VCF Midwest is already in July, and they're moving it to the spring -- that's what Pat Finnegan, who runs Midwest, repeated to me in California two weeks ago.

            Your AC donation will be very important!
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
              Might be fun if we print the timelines on giant chains of fanfold paper (or on greenbar if/where appropriate).! It will require a shitload of printer ribbons but that kind of expense is withing MARCH's ability. It doesn't take much technology other than an Apple IIe and a copy of Broderbund Print Shop. And I think that would really make visitors say "Wow!" when they see what we did.
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                Evan wrote:
                > Might be fun if we print the timelines on giant chains of fanfold
                > paper (or on greenbar if/where appropriate).! It will require a
                > shitload of printer ribbons but that kind of expense is withing
                > MARCH's ability. It doesn't take much technology other than an Apple
                > IIe and a copy of Broderbund Print Shop. And I think that would
                > really make visitors say "Wow!" when they see what we did.

                And I have a shitload of greenbar I don't have an immediate use for.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                  On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Evan wrote:

                  > Might be fun if we print the timelines on giant chains of fanfold paper
                  > (or on greenbar if/where appropriate).! It will require a shitload of
                  > printer ribbons but that kind of expense is withing MARCH's ability.
                  > It doesn't take much technology other than an Apple IIe and a copy of
                  > Broderbund Print Shop. And I think that would really make visitors say
                  > "Wow!" when they see what we did.

                  Think "line printer", rather than your garden variety Epson dot
                  matrix...

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                    We can also put up a poster, at one end of the timeline, explaining "how we did it" back in the day -- and how we recreated that in 2007/2008. That would help to make the timeline more of "exhibit" even when we're not around.

                    Anyway, just an idea, someone please remind me next spring.
                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                      Evan wrote:
                      > Might be fun if we print the timelines on giant chains of fanfold paper (or on greenbar if/where appropriate).! It will require a shitload of printer ribbons but that kind of expense is withing MARCH's ability. It doesn't take much technology other than an Apple IIe and a copy of Broderbund Print Shop. And I think that would really make visitors say "Wow!" when they see what we did.

                      They would also say "Wow!" if we had some ASCII art.. And _of course_ I
                      am thinking of Snoopy with his Sopwith Camel.. Yep.. Snoopy..

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                        ASCII art can fit into a (small-ish, but easily changed every so often) exhibit on computer culture.
                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                          Evan wrote:
                          > ASCII art can fit into a (small-ish, but easily changed every so often) exhibit on computer culture.

                          small-ish ASCII art?! Is that like saying jumbo shrimp? "And here
                          folks is bonsai tree ASCII art... Now you need to stand back from it to
                          get the full effect.. " "How far Mister?" "Good question there young
                          folk!.. Ahh, for this one I would say about one foot would be plenty."

                          Think about what would type of ASCII art would have been on a nerds wall
                          in the 70s... I think you would have to be standing at the other side
                          of the room to see the uhh full picture.. ;)

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan
                        • billdeg@degnanco.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                            what is the new vcf mw date?

                            Bill "reporting from a bar, waiting to play some blues bass" degnan

                            > Dan, that's slightly incorrect. VCF Midwest is already in July, and
                            > they're moving it to the spring -- that's what Pat Finnegan, who runs
                            > Midwest, repeated to me in California two weeks ago.
                            >
                            > Your AC donation will be very important!
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                              I don't know exactly. Pat only said "spring".
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 15, 2007
                                This has to be a family-friendly musuem. :)
                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 16, 2007

                                  Bryan Pope wrote:
                                  Think about what would type of ASCII art would have been on a nerds wall
                                  in the 70s...

                                  I had Einstein, Spock, USS Enterprise, Alien (Close Encounters), and Snoopy, among the other popular icons of the 70s
                                  It was also common to print 12ft long banners with popular quotes that stretched around the entire room and printed on green bar with the large text fonts. I had one with the opening line to Star Wars, "Long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away"

                                  besides, the adult material only looks best in photo quality :) (and color)

                                  Here's an interesting article from an old issue of Popular Science about what they did with typewriters in the 30's
                                  Ascii Art in 1939
                                  http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/07/27/ascii-art-1939/

                                  =Dan
                                  [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
                                  [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

                                • Herb Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 16, 2007
                                    "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                                    > We can also put up a poster, at one end of the timeline, explaining
                                    "how we did it" back in the day -- and how we recreated that in
                                    2007/2008. That would help to make the timeline more of "exhibit"
                                    even when we're not around.

                                    > Anyway, just an idea, someone please remind me next spring.

                                    I suggest that the timeline be constructed and discussed as a set of
                                    Web documents, as well as some kind of documents on the wall. Web
                                    documents can be as simple as the document schemes in discussion,
                                    including ASCII art and so forth. But putting it on the Web makes it
                                    accessable to us, to vistors afterwards, and is good advertizing. The
                                    Web version can be a superset of whatever is on the wall at any one time.

                                    One simple and cheap wall display scheme is to use a series of
                                    posterboards which are hung on hooks. The boards can have documents
                                    and images attached. If documents will be removed and moved as much as
                                    this discussion suggests, posterboards can be replaced cheaply.
                                    Alternatives like cork bulletin boards cost more, and pasting stuff to
                                    the walls will ultimately damage them. Also, posterboards will cover
                                    more wall and all that green paint. ;)

                                    Just opinions,
                                    Herb Johnson
                                    retrotechnology.com