Tandy PC

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hi Gang:

      I seem to recall that once upon a time, Tandy had a PC they marketed
      as a "home" machine.. even touting it's uses in the kitchen as an
      information center.

      I don't recall the model number, but I think one of the features of
      the machine was that it had the OS burned into a ROM, so it would
      boot up quickly. Data was saved on floppies. It may have also had
      the Tandy "Deskmate" software as part of the ROM.

      Am I remember those features correctly? What model could it have been?

      73 de Ray
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
        Ray:

        They had several PC and semi-pc compatibles with the OS in ROM.

        There was the 600. A semi-pc comatible portable. Did not have deskmate.

        Then there were the mini units. I think they were the 1000EX and the 1000HX.

        Try searching on those models for more information.

        73 de Kelly
        KB2SYD

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
          Kelly,

          Ah, the Tandy 600... Here was the very essence of a "pre-compatible" laptop
          and a beautiful example of how Tandy worked so very hard back then to shoot
          themselves in the foot with each new product. You could say that the 600's
          operating system was Deskmate, although both Tandy and Microsoft called it
          "Works". The the Zenith ZP-150 used the same 'OS' but did not include the
          600's single-sided 3.5" floppy drive (compatible with nothing). Somewhere I
          have most of the parts of a Tandy 600.

          On the original topic - I think you are right on the 1000XX (supply letters
          of your choice).

          Jim