Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: First spreadsheet

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
      Yup ... stones and drawing lines in the dirt ... and counting on your fingers.
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
        Sridhar,

        >>I suspect there were methods for keeping track of numeric mathematics
        that predate the abacus.  8;-)  Piles of stones?

        It was your ancestors who invented the zero and the positional notation of numbers. These are the keys to computation. Anyone who does not agree can ask a Roman to do long division. Unfortunately the Romans gave credit to the Arabs who carried the number system from India to Europe.

        Reference: The Universal History of Computing by Georges Ifrah.

        Back on topic, the Wikipedia entry on spreadsheets was illuminating.
        For a brief time we had a spreadsheet program on VM/CMS at GF. You started it up and a grid appeared on your 3270. It was totally unusable because every time you moving to a new current cell required a refresh of the 3270 screen and the delay was just too much. Some people thought that VM/CMS could replace personal computers for "personal computing".

        The Wikipedia gives credit to some mainframe programs as the first "spreadsheets", however it is apparent that these were not the inspiration for VisiCalc. I think most people will agree that the immediacy of the PC is a critical part of a computer "spreadsheet" program.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
          Message
          >>> The Wikipedia gives credit to some mainframe programs as the first "spreadsheets", however it is apparent that these were not the inspiration for VisiCalc.

          In 2004, the Software History Center (now part of the Computer History Museum) sponsored a conference in the Boston area, called "PC Software: The First Decade" and Bricklin / Frankston were there.  I forget if Fylstra was there.  However, * I * was there.  Someplace (it'll take a long while to find), I have notes from a large group interview of a bunch of historians (including yours truly) with Bricklin.  I'm sure he talked about his inspirations.
          >>I suspect there were methods for keeping track of numeric mathematics
          that predate the abacus.  8;-)  Piles of stones?

          It was your ancestors who invented the zero and the positional notation of numbers. These are the keys to computation. Anyone who does not agree can ask a Roman to do long division. Unfortunately the Romans gave credit to the Arabs who carried the number system from India to Europe.

          Reference: The Universal History of Computing by Georges Ifrah.

          Back on topic, the Wikipedia entry on spreadsheets was illuminating.
          For a brief time we had a spreadsheet program on VM/CMS at GF. You started it up and a grid appeared on your 3270. It was totally unusable because every time you moving to a new current cell required a refresh of the 3270 screen and the delay was just too much. Some people thought that VM/CMS could replace personal computers for "personal computing".

          The Wikipedia gives credit to some mainframe programs as the first "spreadsheets", however it is apparent that these were not the inspiration for VisiCalc. I think most people will agree that the immediacy of the PC is a critical part of a computer "spreadsheet" program.

          Jim

          > I meant no disrespect to Bricklin, Frankston, and Fylstra...
          >
          > Doug has a good site but his definition of "personal computer" is too narrow for me.  Met him years a few years ago via Sellam.  I say the abacus was first!

          I suspect there were methods for keeping track of numeric mathematics
          that predate the abacus.  8;-)  Piles of stones?

          Peace...  Sridhar

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Andy Meyer
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
            Somebody declare this horse dead already.
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
              Ok, it is dead.

              --- Andy Meyer <ysgdhio@...> wrote:

              > Somebody declare this horse dead already.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • madodel
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                Jim Scheef wrote:
                > Ok, it is dead.
                >

                > --- Andy Meyer <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Somebody declare this horse dead already.

                "He's dead Jim." :-)

                Mark

                --

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                http://www.warpstock.eu

                http://www.os2voice.org

                Investigation, 1938
              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                  madodel wrote:
                  > Jim Scheef wrote:
                  >
                  >> Ok, it is dead.
                  >>

                  >> --- Andy Meyer <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> Somebody declare this horse dead already.
                  >>>

                  > "He's dead Jim." :-)

                  Was this horse wearing a red shirt?

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan