VCF X report!!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hello MARCHins! Just got back to my hotel after the second day of VCF West.

      My favorite part of any VCF isn't the compueters, it's the people ... Had a drink two nights ago with DEC master collector Guy Sotomayor, had lunch yesterday with Erik Klein, went to an Irish bar tonight with Pat Finnegan (who runs VCF Midwest), Michael Holley (of the Homebrew club and all-around S-100 guru), and Jay West, who needs no introduction.

      Been an awesome show. Sellam really out-did himself this year. No other MARCHins were here, but there were plenty of our friends, such as VCF East exhibitors Vince Briel / Jack Rubin, and everyone's favorite Bavarian friend Hans Franke. Most of the Commodore crew who came east because of Peddle were also here, such as Robert Bernardo, Jeri Ellsworth, Cameron Kaiser, and Ken whose surname I forget. In general there were all the usual suspects -- too many to list but basically a who's who of cctalk, sans most of the east coast people. Plus some big names like Lee Felsenstein, Bill Gosper, Slug Russell ... No Woz this year but we did get Steve Dompier and Daniel Kottke. (It was pretty humbling when Kottke, an early Apple veteran, came over to say hello to ME, instead of the other way around!)

      Once again I am leaving VCF with more computers and less money than when I arrived...

      Two points of note: Crunch is interested in speaking at East 5.0, and Bruce Damer says he is spending more time lately at his NJ home (vs. at the DigiBarn), so one of these days we will finally get him down to InfoAge for his museum advice and for whoever wants to meet him.

      Many people took GOOD pictures so I didn't bother to use the 1.3mp, no-flash camaraphone. Be patient, and people will post them.

      My own exhibit was on the 25th anniversary of laptops, that being 1982. My exhibits usually suck appreance-wise, but this time I actually did a decent job. I plan to re-create the exhibit in the MARCH wing of InfoAge.

      Flying home tomorrow AM, so goodnight for now... will post during the week about an AUGUST date for East 5.0, thereby maximizing our time for musuem stuff. Pat is moving Midwest to the springtime anyhow, so there won't be any conflict.

      - Evan
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007

        It must've been a great time.
        I can't wait to see the pics.

        =Dan
        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

        Evan wrote:
        Hello MARCHins! Just got back to my hotel after the second day of VCF West.

        My favorite part of any VCF isn't the compueters, it's the people ... Had a drink two nights ago with DEC master collector Guy Sotomayor, had lunch yesterday with Erik Klein, went to an Irish bar tonight with Pat Finnegan (who runs VCF Midwest), Michael Holley (of the Homebrew club and all-around S-100 guru), and Jay West, who needs no introduction.

        Been an awesome show. Sellam really out-did himself this year.

      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
          Did you bump into my friend Lance Leventhal?  I should have told you to say Hello to him for me.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
            >>> No other MARCHins were here

            Correction ... I met Tony Eros, who lives in Delaware (I think?) and
            posted to our list exactly one time. :)