Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: 30 years of mass-produced home computers...

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
      B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

      > I have written a lot about the subject of the "appliance computer" on my
      > web site for the past 6 months. What other computers in 1977 or before had
      > a computer with a built-in operating system out of the box other than these
      > three? All three could interact with cassette mass storage without any
      > additional configuration. The Sol-20 and Icom's ATTACHE computers, ALMOST
      > all-in-ones at the time, cannot claim this feature out of the box without
      > additional software or cards.

      I would argue that having a built in "operating system" (it's debatable) wasn't
      key, but maybe these basic features:

      * Keyboard
      * Video display
      * Enough RAM to be useful
      * Enough software in ROM to be useful
      * Some sort of mass storage, even if cassette tape

      With those elements, someone could buy "a computer" that would allow them to
      immediately start playing with it, maybe write a simple program, get some
      software, etc, without the need to immediately expand it.

      Bob

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
        Bill,

        Is this course material online at the Univ ?

        =Dan
        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

        B. Degnan wrote:

        Next week in class the topic will be early 1982.  details: the "IBM PC vs.
        the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "SA vs. S-100", and "  8" disks vs. 5
        1/4"  " ...with live demos.