correction ISA vs S-100

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
      correction

      Next week in class the topic will be early 1982.  details: the "IBM PC vs.
      the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "ISA vs. S-100", and "  8" disks vs. 5
      1/4"  " ...with live demos.
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
        B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

        > I have written a lot about the subject of the "appliance computer" on my
        > web site for the past 6 months. What other computers in 1977 or before had
        > a computer with a built-in operating system out of the box other than these
        > three? All three could interact with cassette mass storage without any
        > additional configuration. The Sol-20 and Icom's ATTACHE computers, ALMOST
        > all-in-ones at the time, cannot claim this feature out of the box without
        > additional software or cards.

        I would argue that having a built in "operating system" (it's debatable) wasn't
        key, but maybe these basic features:

        * Keyboard
        * Video display
        * Enough RAM to be useful
        * Enough software in ROM to be useful
        * Some sort of mass storage, even if cassette tape

        With those elements, someone could buy "a computer" that would allow them to
        immediately start playing with it, maybe write a simple program, get some
        software, etc, without the need to immediately expand it.

        Bob

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
          Bill,

          Is this course material online at the Univ ?

          =Dan
          [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
          [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

          B. Degnan wrote:

          Next week in class the topic will be early 1982.  details: the "IBM PC vs.
          the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "SA vs. S-100", and "  8" disks vs. 5
          1/4"  " ...with live demos.