Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: MAC SE used for art projects

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
      At 03:42 PM 11/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
      > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Take a look at this:
      > >
      >[Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]
      >
      > > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
      >but if
      > > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
      >These
      > > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
      >if they
      > > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
      >computer
      > > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
      > > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
      >like this
      > > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
      >
      >1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
      >terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
      >common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
      >20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

      I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
      a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
      "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

      bd
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007

        I'm sorta the same way. There's some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out a window for the screen to let it shine thru and slide it over the mac without having to paint/glue/cut it. And if it's a working Mac, you'll have more fun then putting Halloween animations on it --with sound of course :)

        =Dan
        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

        B. Degnan wrote:
        I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
        a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
        "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

        bd

      • fieldfan1
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007

          http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html

          > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
          but if
          > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
          These
          > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
          if they
          > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
          computer
          > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
          > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
          like this
          > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
          >

          > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

          PLEASE do not destroy a functioning Mac for an art project. It's like
          gutting a working Plus for a Macquarium.