VC forum to MARCH (was: MAC SE used for art projects)

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
      Ryan Harvey wrote:
      > I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This
      > summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of
      > which I believe you are a member.
      >
      > --Ryan
      > (Yzzerdd)
      As am I.. :)

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      (80sFreak)
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
        At 03:42 PM 11/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
        > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Take a look at this:
        > >
        >[Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]
        >
        > > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
        >but if
        > > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
        >These
        > > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
        >if they
        > > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
        >computer
        > > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
        > > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
        >like this
        > > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
        >
        >1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
        >terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
        >common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
        >20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

        I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
        a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
        "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

        bd
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007

          I'm sorta the same way. There's some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out a window for the screen to let it shine thru and slide it over the mac without having to paint/glue/cut it. And if it's a working Mac, you'll have more fun then putting Halloween animations on it --with sound of course :)

          =Dan
          [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
          [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

          B. Degnan wrote:
          I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
          a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
          "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

          bd

        • fieldfan1
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007

            http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html

            > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
            but if
            > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
            These
            > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
            if they
            > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
            computer
            > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
            > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
            like this
            > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
            >

            > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

            PLEASE do not destroy a functioning Mac for an art project. It's like
            gutting a working Plus for a Macquarium.