Re: [midatlanticretro] MAC SE used for art projects

  • Ryan Harvey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
      First off, I poked through the instructions. Turns they used an SE for insructional purposes. I also came to realize that was a mouse on the back.

      Now, to answer where I am:

      I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of which I believe you are a member.

      --Ryan
      (Yzzerdd)

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
        Ryan Harvey wrote:
        > I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This
        > summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of
        > which I believe you are a member.
        >
        > --Ryan
        > (Yzzerdd)
        As am I.. :)

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        (80sFreak)
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
          At 03:42 PM 11/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
          > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Take a look at this:
          > >
          >[Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]
          >
          > > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
          >but if
          > > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
          >These
          > > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
          >if they
          > > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
          >computer
          > > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
          > > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
          >like this
          > > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
          >
          >1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
          >terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
          >common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
          >20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

          I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
          a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
          "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

          bd
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007

            I'm sorta the same way. There's some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out a window for the screen to let it shine thru and slide it over the mac without having to paint/glue/cut it. And if it's a working Mac, you'll have more fun then putting Halloween animations on it --with sound of course :)

            =Dan
            [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
            [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

            B. Degnan wrote:
            I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
            a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
            "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

            bd

          • fieldfan1
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007

              http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html

              > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
              but if
              > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
              These
              > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
              if they
              > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
              computer
              > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
              > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
              like this
              > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
              >

              > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

              PLEASE do not destroy a functioning Mac for an art project. It's like
              gutting a working Plus for a Macquarium.